This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloned drive won't boot properly

Okay, this *ought* to have been easy enough: Current notebook HD was 250 gigs and I will be doing some stuff that requires more space than that. Setup was sda1 -- XP; sda2, the manufacturer's windows restore partition (small, so i don't mind); sda3 an extended partition; sda4 linux swap; sda6 my linux /, with /boot and all; sda7 /home; and that's that.

Cloned with Clonezilla, apparently uneventfully, from USB stick with new drive in a USB container. Removed old drive, put new drive in machine. Went to grub nicely. Booted XP from grub nicely. Trying to boot Linux (12.04 LTS with all updates) threw an Error 15, file not found. Edited /etc/fstab to provide proper UUIDs which, yes, had changed. reran the grub configuration program. No joy.

I've endeavored to chroot in from USB mount; no effect. Got Boot Rescue Disk off of Source Forge. It reported that somewhere grub or something is looking for partitions on sdb, and believes they are there. Indeed, it's all the information for my old hard drive. It offered to make repairs and I thought, what the hell and let it. Now there is no grub menu at all -- boots directly into XP.

Everything that is supposed to be on the hard drive is there. Problem, I think, is that there's some stuff that's *not* supposed to be there.

Help!!!!!

Thanks in advance

How I (would) do it

I have the persistent /1, 2/ usb stick - the (K) Ubuntu installed to the external drive or usb stick.

How I (would) repair the Grub

1) Plug the usb stick in and boot with it

2) Open a konsole window and update grub

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    The grub should find all installed systems. Internal and external drives - here it does.

3) Reboot with the usb stick

The usb installation Grub boot menu should have options to boot from the internal hard drives - here it does.

4) Pick the OS and boot to it.

5) Re-install the Grub

Open a konsole and install the grub - at this to the sda.
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    No problems:
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    A bit longer information:
    The GRUB boot loader was previously installed to a disk that is no longer present, or whose unique identifier has changed for some reason.

It is important to make sure that the installed GRUB core image stays in sync with GRUB
    modules and grub.cfg. Please check again to make sure that GRUB is written to the appropriate
    boot devices.ck again to make sure that GRUB is written to the appropriate boot devices.

If you're unsure which drive is designated as boot drive by your BIOS, it is often a good idea to install GRUB to all of them.

Note: it is possible to install GRUB to partition boot records as well, and some appropriate partitions are offered here. However, this forces GRUB to use the blocklist mechanism, which makes it less reliable, and therefore is not recommended.
    6) Update the grub

Code:
    sudo update-grub

7) Remove the usb stick and boot from the internal HD.

More: the Ubuntu Community Grub Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Links

1. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent
    2. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...able-USB-stick
    Last edited by Rog132; Nov 18, 2013, 04:42 AM.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Problem is . . .

[QUOTE=Rog132;339880]I have the persistent /1, 2/ usb stick - the (K) Ubuntu installed to the external drive or usb stick.

Code:
      sudo update-grub
      Thanks very much for the extensive reply. Unfortunately:

Code:
      sudo update-grub[
      /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).
      And there it ends.

Comment

Problem is . . .

[QUOTE=Rog132;339880]I have the persistent /1, 2/ usb stick - the (K) Ubuntu installed to the external drive or usb stick.

Code:
        sudo update-grub
        Thanks very much for the extensive reply. Unfortunately:

Code:
        sudo update-grub
        /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).
        And there it ends.

This with the 12.04 live CD on a USB stick and booted from.

Comment

This with the 12.04 live CD on a USB stick and booted from.
          Note that I told that:
          I have the persistent /1, 2/ usb stick - the (K) Ubuntu installed to the external drive or usb stick.
          It is not the liveCD on usb stick. It is a normal installation made to the usb stick.

If you have an error message then you could make a search - searching with '/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?).'

With the live cd. Maybe this helps: http://askubuntu.com/questions/20230...b-from-live-cd -> http://askubuntu.com/questions/88384...alling-windows

You need to mount your partition and /sys /proc /run /dev etc...
          Last edited by Rog132; Nov 21, 2013, 01:32 PM.
          A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
          Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Working...
          X