X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Nvidia driver needed

Hi,

I installed Kubuntu 12.04 (latest version) and I am wondering which nvidia driver should I install for my GTX 760 card. At the moment, when I look in Muon I see installed:
    jockey-common
    jockey-kde
    linkwinnvidiahack4
    libvdpau1
    nvidia-319
    nvidia-common
    nvidia-settings-319

It is a powerful card but when I watch a video, or when I scroll in my webbrowser, I see "lines" on the screen which seem to divide the picture into two parts, one updating a fraction of a second later then the other part. It is annoying to say the least.
    I had that with my previous card (FX 8500GT) but with this new card I thought I had a fast card, plenty of RAM (2GB) so the whole picture (1920*1080 pixels) should be updated fast enough to see a smooth picture. Turns out this is not possible.

After installing the OS what should I do to get the perfect driver, which one should I install? Do I need the libvdpau1, do I need the others I installed, do I need something else?
    Who can help me with this? Please. I have a fast computer, a nice full HD monitor, a great graphics card but a terrible picture.

Try going into System Settings-->Desktop Effects-->Advanced tab and setting Compositing type: to OpenGL 3.1, QT graphics system to Raster and under OpenGL Options-->Tearing Prevention (VSync) to Full scene repaints
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your answer.
      Compositing type was already set to OpenGL. The other 2 you mentioned are either not in my system settings (Kubuntu 12.04 LTS) or I can't find them.
      Are all the nvidia packages which I installed okay? Do I need all of them?

Comment

aaaaah... Maybe I should learn to read.... I'm sorry, I have no experience with 12.04 and I couldn't tell you what you should find or where it is.... ignore my post...
        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

More info here... http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...49-driver.html click on the supported products tab.

My guess is there is an Ubuntu/Kubuntu version pre-configured in the repository.

Comment

At the moment I have installed:
            nvidia-common
            nvidia-current
            nvidia-304
            libkwinnvidiahack4
            nvidia-settings-304
            Still when watching a video I see a "line" which divides the screen into two parts, asif one part is updated later than the other part. Also when scrolling through long webpages I see the same.
            As said I have a Asus GTX 760 card, it should be possible to produce a good picture, shouldn't it?

I use Kubuntu 12.04-3 AMD64, fully updated. Did I install the right packages for my videocard? If not, which ones should I install? Please help. This is driving me crazy.

Comment

I read your first post again, that sounds like video lag and yeah, definitely a driver problem. Does the card work fine booted to a 'live' distro? In WinDOHS? You have to completely uninstall anything nVidia before trying a new driver.

Comment

Working...
              X