Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

broken 64-bit 12.04 with RAID and nvidia graphics -- wrong cd?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken 64-bit 12.04 with RAID and nvidia graphics -- wrong cd?

Hi. I was trying to upgrade to 12.04 from 10.04, but I've run into multiple problems and haven't gotten it to a useable state. My machine is a Lenovo Thinkstation with 64-bit Xeon X3430 cpus and two 500 GB disks in a RAID-1 mirror configuration.

My general question is -- for this configuration, what install would you recommend?

I've been trying to install the kubuntu-12.04-alternate-AMD64 image from cd (alternate to get the RAID support, AMD64 to get the 64-bit, right?). I thought I'd solved my problems (getting the boot loader into the right place on the RAID, using "nomodeset" to get around the lack of Nvidia support from the install cd, and apt-get errors from some package trying to load libsensors4:i386), and I finally got around to trying to deal with setting up the display.

I didn't have kdm -- why wouldn't kdm already be installed? So I tried apt-get install kdm, which downloaded about 100 packages, and then started reporting multiple configuration errors, such as

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of consolekit:
    consolekit depends on libck-connector0 (= 0.2.1); however:
    Package libck-connector0 is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing consolekit (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

I did get kdm, but no desktop menus or icons. And trying "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" tells me:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    kubuntu-desktop : Depends: kde-workspace-bin but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: xorg but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: acpi-support but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I'm wondering if I'm just using the wrong install disk. Any help appreciated.
    -Andy

UPDATE (solved, kinda): I decided to go with the 32-bit alternate cd, and that seems to be working out. Finally have a KDE desktop, booting from RAID, and no errors from the package-manager. On the Kubuntu download page, the 32-bit regular cd is marked as "recommended," so I should have just taken the hint from that.

Comment

Boot with the 'normal' 64-bit 12.04 DVD and poke around with the file manager, if it 'sees' your raid, etc, then there is no need for the alternate disk, I've been down your 'road' and came out the other side with a 4 HDD RAID-0, lol.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...t-to-read-this

Comment

[solved]

Thanks -- installing from the 12.04 64-bit desktop CD did work. It even got the nvidia graphics working without any effort (after using "nomodeset" to get to the installer). I had already tried the kubuntu 13.04 64-bit desktop install, and it let me partition the RAID but then couldn't find the MBR on reboot, so I'm glad to see this one work out. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X