X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Force boot to command line

Hi all,

just completed an install with ubuntu server 12.04 and then installed kubuntu-desktop. I want to selectively start the UI only when needed, but no matter where I search I cannot find a solution to prevent kubuntu login UI from starting.

Can someone please advise on how to go about achieving this?

Thanks

Found it:

Code:
    echo "manual"|sudo tee -a /etc/init/kdm.override
    and to reset

Code:
    sudo rm /etc/init/kdm.override
    What a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by forcegrown View Post
      What a pain.
      Not really...what you've discovered is the proper way to disable an Upstart job.

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/#...cally-starting

Comment

I guess I'm new enough to ask why going to a console logon wouldn't do the job? Or using init 3 from the GRUB screen?
        GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Server installation where I want to be able to selectively start the UI when needed only.

Comment

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
            Or using init 3 from the GRUB screen?
            Debian based distributions (like *buntus) generally don't distinguish between "normal" runlevels (2-5), like many "rpm" distros do.

Kdm (if installed) will (by default) start also on runlevel 3 on kubuntu.

Comment

Thank you.
              GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Working...
              X