Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 12.04.2 wubi install not working....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 12.04.2 wubi install not working....

I downloaded both the 32 and 64 bit .iso and the most recent Wubi. I tried installing the 32 bit first by placing the iso in the same folder as wubi, it acted like everything was fine. rebooted to finish the install and it got to the grey screen with the gear and the little dots moved as though it was thinking, then they stopped, I got a mouse curser but it hangs on this screen and never gets to the desktop. I then booted back to windows 7, did the uninstall and tried it again with the 64 bit version. I got the same exact thing. So I tried it after making DVD's and got the same thing again. the MD5 checks out for both iso's. I am at a loss on how I can get this to work. any help would be really appreciated...

Thanks

Geeve

Try Virtual Box instead. Wubi is a terrible way to install! A VM also gives you greater flexibility!

Comment

Thanks for the reply dmeyer! I am not a big fan of VM's personally, I like to test as if it's installed. I use Wubi for the ease of uninstall. I try to avoid dual boot because I hate messing with fixing the MBR and partitions after I play with it. I guess I am trying to see if anyone else has encountered this yet, and possible fixes to get it going. If no one knows, I may bite the bullet and dual boot.....

Thanks again

Geeve

Comment

Originally posted by geeve420 View Post
        Thanks for the reply dmeyer! I am not a big fan of VM's personally, I like to test as if it's installed. I use Wubi for the ease of uninstall. I try to avoid dual boot because I hate messing with fixing the MBR and partitions after I play with it. I guess I am trying to see if anyone else has encountered this yet, and possible fixes to get it going. If no one knows, I may bite the bullet and dual boot.....

Thanks again

Geeve
        Wubi is honestly so awful. Any particular reason to dislike VMs? They are so flexible. Anyways, If not VM then maybe dual boot is your only other option. You can set it up so that the Windows boot loader handles the booting so that removing Linux doesn't involve fixing everything the hard way with rescue cds. Hopefully a Wubi buff can come along and help. Last time I used Wubi all I did was mount the iso and then just ran the wubi.exe on the disk. Needed administrator privileges though.

Comment

I think it is more my lack of knowlage with VM's for starters. I don't like running an OS in a window, seems pointless to me (my opinion of course). I like to set up my duel monitors and give it the recourses it would have without windows running at the same time.

I tried the Wubi on the disk as well, and got the same result. Kinda weird....

Could you possibly point me to a guide to set it up using the windows boot loaders? Sounds interensting. I come and go with Linux and things change rather quickly.

Thanks for your time

Geeve

Comment

Working...
          X