Additional PPA's

Hello

In 12.04 I have installed the following extra ppa's:/scribus/
    /scribus/
    /tagancha/
    /otto-kesselgulasch/gimp/
    /earth/deb/ stable
    /libreoffice/

Do I need them for 12.10 too and what are the correct ways to install them, resp where can I find the correct addresses?

Thanks for help.
    Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
    I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

That depends on what is in the PPA, and that of course depends on its owner.

Theoretically, assuming the packaging is done correctly, if a newer version of a package is released into the main repositories, it will of course be installed in the place of the PPA version.

Now, as to whether you need them or not depends on what is in each PPA. There is no way to really know other than going and looking at the PPA's Launchpad page, as there are literally thousands of PPAs out there. But, if you added them, and a PPA does not yet have packages for 12.10, updating your system might throw you an error about not being able to find the files for that non-existent repo. Otherwise everything should work as normal.

My thinking is to run the official stuff first, then add what you need as you go. The only repo you list that I think I can answer for is the libreoffice one, and that is assuming it is the one maintained by Ubuntu's LO packagers. That one at the moment has nothing new as 12.10 has the most current version.

As to how, you add them the same way you do in 12.04. If you have upgraded, all your PPAs are disabled, you can turn them back on by opening Muon , going to Settings >> Software Sources >> Other Software, and check the boxes for those you want to turn on. You should check that each one lists "quantal" as the distribution just to be safe.
    Last edited by claydoh; Oct 27, 2012, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks, that is most helpful.

No I did a completely new installation from scratch.
      Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
      I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Working...
      X