This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package installer just hangs

Fresh install of 12.04, when i try to install a deb package it just hangs when i click install package. Oddly though it never asks for a password at all.

were you using the Muon software centre or Muon package manager ?

if it was the software centre , perhaps it's a bit buggy , I don’t know I'v never used it.
    try finding the package you wanted in the Muon package manager and installing it from their ,,,,,, neather one of them (software centre or package manager) will ask for a password until you click install.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      were you using the Muon software centre or Muon package manager ?

if it was the software centre , perhaps it's a bit buggy , I don’t know I'v never used it.
      try finding the package you wanted in the Muon package manager and installing it from their ,,,,,, neather one of them (software centre or package manager) will ask for a password until you click install.

VINNY
      Im not using either im installing a deb package through qapt. Trying to install teamviewer and chrome through the downloaded Debs.

Comment

Would seem its just not grabbing dependancies

Comment

Humm chrome usualy installs fine at least it did hear.....I dont know about teamviewer though and I use gdebi for individual .deb's ,,,,,it dident give you a list of missing dependency’s?

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

I'm DLing the teamviewer .deb now to see what gdebi has to say ,,,,,,,,,,LOL

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

well even though I DLed the 64bit ver. of teamviewer Gdebi told me it required the installation of 253 packages ,,,,,which looked to be all i386 packages ,,,,,so I dont need it

but it did tell me their were dependency’s and offered to install them.

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                well even though I DLed the 64bit ver. of teamviewer Gdebi told me it required the installation of 253 packages ,,,,,which looked to be all i386 packages ,,,,,so I dont need it

but it did tell me their were dependency’s and offered to install them.

VINNY
                Well not sure why but sudo apt-get -f install took care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Disposed View Post
                  Well not sure why but sudo apt-get -f install took care of it.
                  That's supposed to happen. If a package is in a partially-installed state, the command above will perform whatever steps are required to finish configuring the package. In your case, additional dependencies needed to be downloaded and installed. apt-get did this for you, and then performed the final configuration of the .deb files.

I'm curious why you'd use QApt for this, though? What commands were you typing?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    That's supposed to happen. If a package is in a partially-installed state, the command above will perform whatever steps are required to finish configuring the package. In your case, additional dependencies needed to be downloaded and installed. apt-get did this for you, and then performed the final configuration of the .deb files.

I'm curious why you'd use QApt for this, though? What commands were you typing?
                    Qapt is what it automatically used when I clicked the deb files in dolphin.

Comment

Ah... I've actually not used that before.

I tried just now installing a local .deb with two dependencies not present on my PC, and everything worked as expected. So I wasn't able to reproduce your problem. I would suggest that you follow Vinny's advice and use GDebi for manually installing local packages that require downloading dependencies. In my experience, GDebi has always worked.

Comment

Working...
                      X