This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE hangs after fresh installation

I just finished installing 12.04.1 for the fourth time with the exact same result. Here's what I did - boot from a usb disk and installed kubuntu. Installation appears to have gone on fine. When I restart, the computer fires up pretty fast and I get to the login screen in no time. After I enter my credentials, KDE loads up and I see the familiar KDE desktop screen. At this point, pretty much the only button I can click on is the kickoff menu icon. Everywhere else, my clicks are not registered. Even when I click on the kickoff icon and get the menu, I cannot click and open any of the applications. The computer is just stuck there. I can't even think of where to look to investigate what's wrong... please help!

This exactly happened to me.
    On the login screen, before you log in, click on the little arrow and choose failsafe mode. Then, you'll be able to log in to a desktop that works. Go to system settings, desktop effects, and on the all effects tab, disable the Blur effect.

That was enough for me to get Kubuntu to work well, after logging out and using the little arrow to start the normal mode, called something like "KDE plasma". Conceivably you might want to activate a proprietary graphics driver, or other stuff.

Regards, John Little
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
    X