Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody interested in getting compiz-fusion working in kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody interested in getting compiz-fusion working in kubuntu?

Just asking and I'm curious if anybody has a tutorial written out somewhere.

Hi
    If you will type compiz-fusion in the search you will find, as of my count, five pages of threads that deal in large, or small, part with compiz-fusion.

An example is this which discusses setting it as the default window manager.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...=compiz+fusion

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, I used to know a lot about compiz and wrote several how-tos on it in other forii; but my info is probably dated, and I'm sure that someone would be glad to help with more up to date information.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

thanks for the info, got it working but I'm not using emerald and its also missing tons of steps. I'll add the additional info needed to get it working in a bit, I'm still fiddling with it.

Comment

oaky, here is the basic version.

first off! to avoid any problems and this is related to how the session manager handles applications that are running which conflict with something you may need to change.
        1. open up system settings, session and logout settings, session management, select start with an empty session, if you are using nvidia, make sure you have vsync and opengl sync enabled.

2. sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-plugins fusion-icon

3. Click on Applications>Settings>CompizConfig Settings Manager and make sure Composite and OpenGL are enabled. under opengl, check sync to vblank as well as under window management of settings manager->tick move window, shift switcher (window logo and tab), resize windowand in effectssection, this is important or compiz will fail, use the built in window decoration. the rest of the tweaks such as refresh 200, unredirect fullscreen are all under compositor in ccsm. DO NOT USE KDE or GNOME COMPATABILITY, remove pager from panel, remove activities as these do not work.use folder view for layout by right clicking on desktop and under view choosing it under layout. start->settings->system settings->workspace behavior number of desktop, 1 only. open up compizconfig settings manager->general options->desktop size and also system settings->workspace behavior. both of these windows should all say 1 in number of desktops. If you don't do this, you will cycle into a dark desktop and have issues. reboot and look at this again make sure these are set to 1. Also, this is using gtk window decorator and I'll get into changing the theme in a bit. You don't need fusion icon if you are switching the window manager in step 4 to compiz as well as scripting games to auto shut down the compiz compositor which I will add at the bottom. Note: If you want mannual control follow this rule. fusion icon->settings manager->effects and select window decorator. fusion icon->settings manager->select window manager compiz or kde4 (between these you can disable compiz to play games.)

4. if you are not using fusion-icon, Go to Applications> System> Compiz Fusion Icon. Click on it and a blue icon will appear in the upper right corner of the screen. Right click on the icon, choose Select Window Manager and click on Compiz then Reload Window Manager.

5. change theme GTK-window-decorator a.k.a compiz window decorator
        #sudo apt-get install gconf-editor
        open in terminal gconf-editor
        navigate to apps->metacity->general->theme
        change default adwaita which is the current theme to the correct folder name in this location
        #sudo dolphin /usr/share/themes/

you can add http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...?content=93197

place GOTCHIONE folder in #sudo dolphin /usr/share/themes/

add it to gconf editor in apps->metacity->general->themes
        hit enter and it auto changes it.

if you decide to use other gnome themes, choose the ones which contain a metacity-1 folder. Others will not work.

reboot to shake off the bugs

now for auto shut down for gaming purposes.

create a file like example.sh and right click, go to perm and allow execute

add this

#!/bin/bash
        killall compiz
        sleep 4 && amixer -q set "Mic" Capture 100%;
        sleep 2 && amixer -q set "Mic" Playback 0%;
        sleep 2 && "/home/username/Installed_Programs/Games/HoN/hon.sh"
        sleep 4 && amixer -q set "Mic" Capture 0%;
        compiz --replace
        exit

edit to your needs and save. justdirect your menu editor to use this in k menu and your set to go.

Comment

kewl beans! thanks!

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Cresho, I owe you a huge beer buddy, I've been banging my head in the wall these last few days trying to get this thing running, so close now, I still have a titlebar on top of the windows so that's a huge step

However I am stuck on step 5 with gconf-editor, there's no metacity folder here, anyone have any ideas? I can upload some screenshots somewhere if you guys think it would help

Comment

Welcome to KFN!

Note that you are responding to a 2 year old thread. Are you using 12.04?. if not, the likelihood of things having changed since then is high, and the suggestion to use the command
              sudo dolphin is baaaad baad bad

Try the link OneLine gave and follow that.

Screenshots are usually helpful, so do feel free to include them

Comment

I'm using 14.04, I managed to change windows borders and titlebar buttons with emerald, but it feels quite limited. I'll have a look at that link

Comment

The thing is, in compizconfig window decoration section, where you type the path to the window-decorator I can use gtk-window-decorator, emerald, or compiz-decorator. Whenever I try to use kwin I get no decorations at all, missing borders and no corner icons.

Comment

Look for Trusty 14.04 instructions, then. The kubuntuguide OneLine linked to does have a 14.04 guide. Still, as things have changed a lot and compiz development has slowed down in recent times do expect speedbumps.

Comment

I have zero clue about compiz related things. haven't played with it since 2008 to be honest.

Comment

If Kubuntu had the ring application switcher out of the box, I'd have never gone through that :P

Comment

It might be weird but I got it done using Qtcurve

Comment

Working...
                          X