This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless password has been a problem

Please remember that i very seldom post about a problem with Kubuntu, so I hope folks will take this in the way that it is intended.

The situation is this; due to a change in living arrangements, I now probably ought to have a password on the router, so I put one on, it is a NetGear and I'm using a rather old style wireless card with antenna, a normal atheros chipset.

When I put the password on the router I was easily able to get Kubuntu Natty to take it and the wireless works fine.

Without mentioning any names I have several other distros on other hard drives, and they also, took the password, stored it and I can get on just fine.

However, using Kubu Precise, I've made two clean installs of it on two hard drives starting last June and in both cases I can easily get onto the net wirelessly through not MY router but using an unencrypted router of a neighbor.

So the problem is not the router per-se. It is a problem with the OS and the password for the router.

The OS .....SEES the router, and tries to "configure the interface", it just will not either "take/hold/give" I do not know what, the password with/to the router.

Stealing some of his/her bandwidth I have downloaded all updates etc. . Because I figured maybe it was some kind of update problem with the networking part of the OS.

But, no, I still cannot get onto the net using my router with password.

Let me REemphasize that Natty took the password and ran with it, other distros took the password and ran with it, only Precise won't.

I've tried the various settings in network manager and still no luck so don't know.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 05, 2012, 11:42 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Did you set the router Network Security as WEP or WPA2 Personal, and what Encryption are you using?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My new Acer laptop has an Atheros 9462 wireless chip. My previous Acer had an rtl8192ce chip. NetworkManager was solid with the 8192ce . I discovered that NM would not present a stable wireless connection with the 9462. It would associate & disassociate about every 3 or 4 minutes. The sig strength from 3 meters was 80%. From 25 meters it was hard to get a connections. NM would sit there looping the msg about acquiring an IP address, but it never would.

After a day of fiddling with parameter settings I plugged in the ethernet cable and pulled all the NetworkManger files and installed the five Wicd files. Wicd gave a rock solid wireless connection. From 25 meters I get 85% sig strength.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Snowhog

It will only accept WPA/WPA2 Personal and there is no option for "encryption settings" if you mean something as in the type of encryption for say Yahoo etc.

GG, I had not thought of that, I'll try downloading wicd etc.

thanks guys.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi guys
          GG
          Installing the wicd files fixed it, there are now two items in the panel, the original symbol and one with two monitors and a signal strength bar(I guess).

HOWEVER......the "powers that be" have, I guess, decided that the poor user was to lame to just limp along with "personal" or "corporate" passphrases I had to go down through all of the new....to moi! lol variations of what constitutes an acceptable password interface in this brave new world...

and....

WPA personal is now: WPA 1/2 passphrase

So.....thanks guys, things are now ok, but maybe there should be some kind of stickey up about this. dunno, just a throught.

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
          X