This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
    Are there any logs that might be usefull in narrowing down the root cause?
    The freeze happens so suddenly and thoroughly that there's no time for any process to dump a log entry before the entire computer hangs.

I am curious to hear more on this theorey. If you could prove it to be true, atleast it is a step in the right direction.
    In many of the comments on those bugs, you'll note a major and a minor theme. Major: switchable graphics. Minor: freeze triggered by USB activity (mostly mouse moving/scrolling). That the freeze happens on my machine with switchable (but disabled discrete portion) graphics and with USB peripherals but not on my machine that lacks this combination appears to mean something. Exactly what, though, I'm not sure.

Comment

any time I try to run apt-get install somepackage, it keeps telling me to use apt-get -f install.
      There's an issue of some kind with your source repos or your installed packages -- this should not be happening on a system with only the default canonical repositories enabled. Is that still your configuration?

What does

Code:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      say?

Comment

I'm glad my W520 has so far not shown this problem, during the daytime I typically run it on the nVidia graphics as that's the only way to use a second screen and at night I often use the Intel mode when on batteries. In both modes I plug in and unplug USB-2 and -3 devices like, the (MS) mouse, a card reader and hard disks.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
          There's an issue of some kind with your source repos or your installed packages -- this should not be happening on a system with only the default canonical repositories enabled. Is that still your configuration?

What does

Code:
          sudo dpkg --configure -a
          say?
          I found the solution. Teamviewer had installed but was lacking dependencies. I just had to do dpkg -p teamviewer and that fixed it.

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          The freeze happens so suddenly and thoroughly that there's no time for any process to dump a log entry before the entire computer hangs.

In many of the comments on those bugs, you'll note a major and a minor theme. Major: switchable graphics. Minor: freeze triggered by USB activity (mostly mouse moving/scrolling). That the freeze happens on my machine with switchable (but disabled discrete portion) graphics and with USB peripherals but not on my machine that lacks this combination appears to mean something. Exactly what, though, I'm not sure.
          For what it is worth, I have plugged my android handset in a few times and been using this desktop a ton getting thing reconfigured slowly to try to catch the problem sneak back in. So far it has not shown up again. I am still running my ATI card(mobo has no video outputs even if I wanted to). You may be on to something but in my case I suspect either using RAID mode was the problem, or a dependency got pulled it and was causing a conflict somewhere. The closest I have been to reproducing the problem was extracting 4 folders with split archives, about 1GB each, and the system completely froze for a few minuets until the extraction was done. It did not instantly respond though, it was a gradual process of regaining control of the mouse/system.
          CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
          Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
          Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
          Graphics Card: MSI R7770
          Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
          Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
          PSU: Corsair 520HX
          Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
          Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
          Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Another theory, could the intel xorg drivers and ati/amd xorg drivers conflict? Why do I need the intel drivers when the mobo has no video out? Thinking back about it, and I think I mentioned this in the other thread, the problem started after an update for the Intel xorg drivers from the stable xorg ppa. Now that I have a back up, I added the x-swat ppa again, and had an update for the intel drivers. I have not checked the post date to see if they have been updated since my issue started.
            Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

You shouldn't need the Intel drivers at all in your setup. You might consider removing xserver-xorg-video-intel and observing the results over a couple days.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                You shouldn't need the Intel drivers at all in your setup. You might consider removing xserver-xorg-video-intel and observing the results over a couple days.
                Ok So I figured I would bump this before doing a clean install..again. Obviously this is far from a fresh set up now though.

I took your advice and removed the xorg-video-all package as that needs to go before the intel package can be removed. It did make an improvement but did not seem to resolve it 100%.

Sent from my DROID2 Global

Comment

One of the last things I recall doing before this happened was installing this:
                  http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=69401
                  I am wondering if I should try going through the install script and find all the utilities it installed and remove them.

Also, this time the freezing is not as bad. For example I can perform simple hash checks in vuze with out the whole system just bogging down. I can extract 1GB split archives with out trouble. The trouble usually starts when there is a large size hash check or multiple extractions. I think my system should be more then capable of handling the load of extracting 4 sets of 1 GB split archives at once especially since this is on the SATA3 drive.

Comment

Ok, time for a bump here. Now obviously I am not on a nearly fresh system, but believe I have found something useful. Last night I went to install Ubuntu in a VM. I figured even though Unity does not look as appealing as KDE, why not give it a shot. Well during the Ubuntu install, the VM was lagging like crazy, but the linux side of the machine was fine. So I decided to see what google would turn up. I saw some mentions of Intel cstate being the culprit and how to adjust this. I found a tutorial from 2006 that is to old I guess, but I booted in to the bios and disabled the cstate function which means the cpu is now running wide open 24/7. So now that cstate is disabled, I can throw about any work load at my rig with no freezing at all. Is there anything I can do to find some sort of medium between power saving and performance?

Comment

Working...
                    X