X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12.04 precise cannot restore previous session

Hey,

I installed 12.04 on a different hard drive, and copied the home files from the 10.04 install drive into the home directory of the 12.04 drive.

Now it seems the session manager is stuck on a session from a couple of days ago.

I put before and after screen shots here:

before logging out:
    http://www.advanced-app.com.hk/MiscJ...ore_logout.png

after logging back in:
    http://www.advanced-app.com.hk/MiscJ...ng_back_in.png

My rekonq browser is stuck on a problem I solved a couple of days ago (by putting "acpi=force" in grub.conf).

I have deleted files and directories in tmp. In my home directory, I have recursively made sure all files and directories are owned by me and writable by me.

Any suggestions? I do not want to be looking at the "after" session (from several days ago) for the next two years!

Thanks,

I am a little unclear of what your problem is. How are sessions and browsers related?

Comment

Oh, I think I know what you mean now. What if you change the Session Manager to start empty and then reboot -- do you get a clean desktop? Does Rekonq open empty?

Next, open the windows you want, then change the Session Manager to manually saved and follow Leave | Save Session. When you return, do you see what you expect, or something older?

Now, if you finally switch the Session Manager to restore previous, does it behave normally?

Comment

12.04 precise still cannot restore previous session

I still have the problem.

> What if you change the Session Manager to start empty and then reboot -- do you get a clean desktop?

Yes

> Does Rekonq open empty?

Yes

> Next, open the windows you want, then change the Session Manager to manually saved and follow Leave | Save Session. When you return, do you see what you expect, or something older?

I see the session that I saved.

> Now, if you finally switch the Session Manager to restore previous, does it behave normally?

No; it remembers a more recent session, but it still does not restore the session as it was when I logged out. I have gone through several cycles as follows: change things, log out, log back in. It is stuck on a particular session; it still cannot restore the previous session

Thanks,

Comment

Change the Session Manager back to empty. Log out/log in/log out.

Then, outside KDE -- that is, while KDM is visible -- switch to a console TTY. Next:
          Code:
          rm ~/.kde/share/config/session/*
          rm ~/.kde/share/config/ksmserverrc
          sudo reboot
          Now can you recreate the behavior you wish?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Now can you recreate the behavior you wish?
            Not yet. I went through the steps, and opened kubuntuforums.net in rekonq. I logged out, logged back in, and kubuntuforums.net was there. But if I put rekonq on anything else, log out and log back in, anything else is not there -- rekonq is stuck on kubuntuforums.net.

I would appreciate additional troubleshooting help.

Thanks,

Comment

I am, at this point, out of ideas to suggest. I haven't Googled for anything yet, though.

However, I do need to ask an obvious, and probably silly, question: In Configure Rekonq | General | Startup, what have you chosen for When starting Rekonq?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                However, I do need to ask an obvious, and probably silly, question: In Configure Rekonq | General | Startup, what have you chosen for When starting Rekonq?
                Actually, I had not chosen anything -- I did not know the setting existed. I was expecting rekonq to act like konq.

The setting was "open the new tab page". Moments ago, I changed it to "restore the last opened tabs". I opened a page other than kubuntuforums.net, logged out, logged back in, but got kubuntuforums.net.

Comment

At this point, it's worth creating a new user account and then conducting some tests to see whether the behavior persists.

Comment

I think this is definitely a bug.

I created a new user account. I went in, and put rekonq on python documentation for version 2.7. I exited, went back in, and rekonq came up on the python documentation for version 2.7 (so far, so good). I put rekonq on python documentation for version 3.2. I exited, went back in, and rekonq came up on the python documentation for version 2.7 (WRONG!)

Comment

Upgrading from 0.9 to 1.0 fixed the problem. (1.0 is in backports under kubuntu 12.04.) Thanks to SteveRiley for the link:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post304505

Comment

Originally posted by likes2skate View Post
                        Actually, I had not chosen anything -- I did not know the setting existed. I was expecting rekonq to act like konq.

The setting was "open the new tab page". Moments ago, I changed it to "restore the last opened tabs". I opened a page other than kubuntuforums.net, logged out, logged back in, but got kubuntuforums.net.

This must be a bug in 12.04 because I have the exact saame problem with Firefox set to restore last tabs and windows! I have some other strange behavior like kubuntu not restoring previous session even though its set to restore the last session and if i close a firefox window then all firefox windows close! The application list shows x number of applications running but dosn't list all of them! I am thinking this might all be related to the same bug, but what is the bug?
                        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Working...
                        X