This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crashes when external monitor plugged in

I had this same issue with 11.10. I REALLY hoped that the 12.04 was going to fix this.

When my computer is plugged into an external it crashes occassionally. What makes it kind of weird is that if I reboot the computer with the external plugged in the it will immediately shutdown if I reboot it. However, if I remove the monitor cable from the laptop it boots up fine and then I can plug in the monitor - open size and orientation and get the external working.

This is very odd and I have no idea how to even approach solving this. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

What kind of graphics -- Intel, nVidia, or AMD?

Comment

nVidia. I don't think 12.04 Nvidia drivers are out yet. I had the Nvidia drivers on my 11.10 install and it was just as bad (or worse). Hard to tell, computer has crashed only once with 12.04 so far but I'm only had it plugged in one day.

Weirdly enough, it also only happens in the afternoon. PRetty weird.

Comment

Can you do a graceful restart with [Alt]+[SysRq]+REISUB, or is your computer completely frozen?

Comment

Originally posted by tweev View Post
          I had this same issue with 11.10. I REALLY hoped that the 12.04 was going to fix this.

When my computer is plugged into an external it crashes occassionally. What makes it kind of weird is that if I reboot the computer with the external plugged in the it will immediately shutdown if I reboot it. However, if I remove the monitor cable from the laptop it boots up fine and then I can plug in the monitor - open size and orientation and get the external working.

This is very odd and I have no idea how to even approach solving this. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.
          How anyone could have any ideas, if you wont tell absolutely anything about your computer or system?

- What monitor do you have?
          - What motherboard do you have?
          - What graphics card do you have? The exact model, please
          - Do you use DVI, HDMI or VGA output?
          - What does your system log messages say?
          - Did you do a fresh clean install of Kubuntu or upgraded old version?

Answer ALL of those questions please and I will try to help you.

Comment

Sorry about the lack of details: Here is my list:
            1) The monitor is a dell 2208
            2) Vostro 3400 (To be filled by O.E.M.)
            3) Motherboard
            vendor: Winbond Electronics
            physical id: 0
            version: A10
            serial: .89DTXM1..
            slot: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
            3) Video: display description: VGA compatible controller
            product: GT218 [GeForce 310M]
            vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
            physical id: 0
            bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
            version: a2
            width: 64 bits
            clock: 33MHz
            capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
            configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
            resources: irq:16 memory:f9000000-f9ffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:d0000000-d1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:fa000000-fa07ffff
            4) VGA output
            5) The computer just shuts down, I haven't had time to writedown the error message but I seem to remember it doesn sound terribly serious ( I know that's lame, but I think it's just shutting down).
            6) It was a clean install, re-format partition table and dual boot with windows 7

I hope I answered your questions.

Comment

Thank you very much

what does your /var/log/dmesg or /var/log/messages say, there could be some error messages from the kernel ?

I assume, that you are using Dell Laptop machine?

I've done some googling around and hey, do you have the Nvidia Optimus technology in your Dell laptop? If so, you perhaps should try to go to your laptops BIOS settings and try to find an option to switch it off, is possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus

Nvidia Optimus is an optimization technology created by Nvidia to save battery life by automatically switching the power of the graphics processing unit (GPU) off when it is not needed and switching it on when needed again. The technology mainly targets mobile PCs such as notebooks.[1] When the GPU power is off, the driver redirects graphics commands to the integrated graphics chip (e.g. Intel GMA). Currently only Windows 7 is officially supported, however the open source project Bumblebee brings support to Linux.[2]
              Last edited by couchbotato; May 02, 2012, 11:10 PM.

Comment

I looked at /var/log/dmesg and it is huge. I can post it all here - or - next time the computer crashes I can take a look. I don't have a solid idea when the last crash occured (I was off work yesterday) but it'll likely happen today.

I have a dell vostro 3400 - I'll look of the optimus switch now.

I could not find anything in the bios about optimus switch,
                Video bios version 70.18.49.00.1A00
                Dell bios version A10
                Last edited by tweev; May 03, 2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

http://en.community.dell.com/support...px?PageIndex=2

The Hybrid function option is found under Advanced>System Configuration in BIOS.

If this option is not found then Update the relevant BIOS. If the problem still persists, i believe that the system was manufactured after 22nd Oct 2010.

If you have purchased the system from Retail stores then its highly likely that its a system prior 22nd Oct.
                  And then there is this too..

Here are the updates i have received. Let me put them out in points so we have a better understanding of this scenario.

All Vostro 3300, 3400, 3500 and 3700 shipped after 22 Oct 2010 are shipped with switchable graphics option, systems prior to this DO NOT have the switchable graphics.
                  All Vostro 3300, 3400, 3500 and 3700 shipped after 22 Oct 2010 Should have the latest BIOS A10 atleast and Video drivers (Links provided below) installed on the system.
                  Switchable Graphics is only supported on factory installed Windows XP. However this is not the case with Vista or Win7.
                  Systems shipped after 22 Oct 2010 uses Intel to conserve power but switches automatically to NVIDIA for improved graphics performance. To use this feature of hybrid graphics, NVIDIA Switchable Graphics HAS to be installed along with Intel Onboard graphics driver.
                  Vostro 3XXX Systems have 3 Graphics options. Integrated, Discrete and Hybrid. Systems shipped after 22 Oct 2010 will only have a switchable graphics card and will not be able to install the NVIDIA Discrete driver instead have to use NVIDIA Switchable graphics driver.
                  Considering the option in BIOS, Hybrid Graphics is enabled by default and one should be able to see two graphics card under display adapters in device manager. For systems unable to see two graphics cards in device manager, have to install the NVIDIA Switchable graphics driver (Link provided below). If the problem still persists, try restoring BIOS to defaults else contact Dell Tech Support for further assistance. Note: This is only for systems shipped after 22 Oct 2010 and have factory installed XP.
                  Last edited by couchbotato; May 03, 2012, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I looked at the bios again but nothing. I purchased the laptop directly from dell on 01/27/2011 but it was a scratch and dent refurb ($600!) so I think it was likely manufactured before Oct 2010.

Comment

Working...
                    X