Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After installation Partitions not Found!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After installation Partitions not Found!

After I installed it on my dual boot laptop which ever thing seemed fine in the live session and install and even booting up grub. I selected boot kubuntu and it informed be that it could not find the partition. So I then selected windoze and it said the same thing.

It is weird because grub could see the different boot options and if I put a live disc it it could see the different partitions of the drives. I have never had a problem like this before with all my other kubuntu installs... sigh.

So just to clarify are you able to use the live-disc to "bypass" Grub and get to whichever session you wanted to boot up (be it Kubuntu or windoze)?
    (Regular) Linux User Since September 1, 2010 (First played around with Linux in 2004)
    Kubuntu 12.04 (64-bit), Dual Boot w/Windows Vista
    KDE 4.8.4a, HP Pavilion dv9623gl, AMD Turion64 x2
    nVidia GeForce Go 7150M, 2 GB RAM

Comment

No grub can see the correct options but if one is selected it says partitions can't be found. But If i pop in a live disc it can see all the partitions on the drive. So it sounds like some kind of boot record is messed up.

In the end I just formatted the whole drive and installed kubuntu correctly on it and it works. But it sucks that I lost my dual setup for now.

Comment

Bumping because this has happened to me as well.

All the options are there, but I cant boot to anything, linux or windows.

I've downloaded a live cd, is there a way to repair/redo grub with that? I have NO desire to reformat and start over...

Comment

This might be helpful: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...uide-for-Users

It includes a "Fixing Things" section.

Comment

Interesting...

Comment

ronw, that was a useful link... for those to lazy to go through all of that, here's what I did that worked for me

1. Go to http://www.supergrubdisk.org/categor...2diskdownload/ and download the Super Grub 2 disk iso (and burn it to cd or usb or whatever)
              2. Reboot with the disk. This will bring up a menu.
              3. Choose "Detect any OS" . This will bring up a grub menu like you're used to
              4. Choose linux. This will load your operating system
              5. Once booted I opened a terminal and first ran
              sudo grub-mkconfig
              which I believe didn't work, then I ran
              sudo grub-install /dev/sda
              which DID work. That command assumes that your boot sector is on /sda -- this is a good guess but I don't believe it's necessarily true for everyone.

Comment

This happened to me as well. I ended up having to boot from a live CD and use boot-repair to fix it. Not straightforward, and certainly enough to drive newbies away. Being that I've been with Kubuntu since 8 something, I'm used to this nonsense. Doesn't mean I'm any less upset at throwing away two hours of my time troubleshooting this, but I digress...

This should NOT be happening. Anyone know why it is?

Comment

This happened to me because I was not paying attention to the installer when it asked me where I wanted GRUB installed. At first, it wanted to install GRUB on my USB stick; then, when I made a new partition table, it wanted to put GRUB on that instead of the drive as a whole. I think it's something they should have paid closer attention to when designing the installer.
                  Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                  Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                  Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Originally posted by enginemusic View Post
                    This happened to me as well. I ended up having to boot from a live CD and use boot-repair to fix it. Not straightforward, and certainly enough to drive newbies away. Being that I've been with Kubuntu since 8 something, I'm used to this nonsense. Doesn't mean I'm any less upset at throwing away two hours of my time troubleshooting this, but I digress...

This should NOT be happening. Anyone know why it is?
                    This happens because (k)ubuntu doesn't get enough testers for the cd before release as no one wants to do that. So they only tend to get tested on a limited set of hardware and configurations.

Comment

Similar experience to what I had. Left the laptop to upgrade overnight but after rebooting grub cannot find any partitions. Straight away realised MBR has been wiped and repaired from the bootable USB drive. Admittedly for a newbie this could be disastrous but then that is why it's important to visit the forums and ask for help. Still, despite the issues, Kubuntu is a keeper for me and not changing to another OS.

Comment

Originally posted by jwebster8 View Post
                        ronw, that was a useful link... for those to lazy to go through all of that, here's what I did that worked for me

1. Go to http://www.supergrubdisk.org/categor...2diskdownload/ and download the Super Grub 2 disk iso (and burn it to cd or usb or whatever)
                        2. Reboot with the disk. This will bring up a menu.
                        3. Choose "Detect any OS" . This will bring up a grub menu like you're used to
                        4. Choose linux. This will load your operating system
                        5. Once booted I opened a terminal and first ran
                        sudo grub-mkconfig
                        which I believe didn't work, then I ran
                        sudo grub-install /dev/sda
                        which DID work. That command assumes that your boot sector is on /sda -- this is a good guess but I don't believe it's necessarily true for everyone.
                        +1 for jwebster8, I had the exact problem, and his procedures worked. Just accessed both my 12.04 and Win7 system. Thanks!!! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                        X