This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kudos to pangolin team - a flawless upgrade

This forum often gets only complaints and messages of distress; this is different: I have ONLY good news. The upgrade, on two boxes, one an HP netbook (which has always lost wireless access as a result of an OS upgrade), the other a Dell Inspiron 530S desktop, was...flawless. Everything (so far!) works, as if nothing at all happened. My netbook even has fully functional wireless access. Wow!

This seems to get more straightforward each cycle, and I find that impressive and gratifying.

My thanks to all concerned!!!

Let me join you in the congrats to the kubuntu team!
    I just upgraded two PCs from 11.10 to 12.04 and everything went smoothly.

Tomorrow I am gonna upgrade two notebooks from 10.04!
    Kubuntu 15.10 - Asus All-in-one (i3, 4GB ram)

Comment

I upgraded last night from 11.10 to 12.04. I have made it a habit over the years that I NEVER do upgrade installs, but..... I did it this time.
      My first observation would be that it takes an incredibly long time to upgrade vs doing a fresh install. Other than that, it all appears to be working fine.
      I might do a clean install later just for old time's sake. Actually I have a clean install on my eSATA drive and I like it.

Comment

Same experience here. It took over 8 hours to upgrade 11.10 to 12.04, but the result is flawless.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

Awesome job. I upgraded 2 computers one from 10.04 to 12.04 and the other from 11.10 to 12.04. Both are running without any problems.

Comment

More congrats from me as well. Left the laptop overnight to upgrade because of slow download of packages. Woke up this morning to find upgrade complete and needing a restart. Got quite scary on restart to find grub could not find any partitions on my work laptop but easily reinstalled grub from usb stick. Now working flawless even the Dell touchpad that had issues on 11.10. Now to upgrade the family desktop and I don't expect any issues.
            Keep up the good work.

Comment

And from me! Updated yesterday and everything seems to work beautifully. I'm especially happy that my Elantech touchpad is now recognized as a touchpad and not a mouse, so scrolling finally works. (Right-click stopped working, but that's hardly an issue.) Nice work!

Comment

I also had no issues. Took a while, but no big deal I was working on the laptop while my Kubuntu desktop was upgrading. Only issue I had was smbd didn't start after the reboot, but it never did in 11.10 either despite being enabled. With how often I have to reboot the thing, I never bother figuring out how to fix it.

Anyway, thanks to the Kubuntu team for another solid release.

Comment

Upgrade process went smooth as silk, same as every other Kubuntu upgrade I've done.

I have to say that this is one of the most boring Linux distros. Nothing ever goes wrong! Not like the good ol' days of Gentoo where an innocent Portage update could wreck your system.
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; May 02, 2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

The upgrade went well for me too, i'd tried an upgrade from natty to oneiric only to bugger that up and reverting to a DD image.

This time I uninstalled the Radeon driver first, and turned off the LTS releases only option in Kpackagekit.

Trundled through the oneiric upgrade flawlessly and then through the precise update. Lovely.

The only isue I have is Kmix crashing on startup and the Wicd KDE applet crashing on exit, I can cope with those.
                    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T + 8GB Ram + Radeon HD 6770 + Corsair Force GT60 /root + WD Caviar Black 1TB /home + Kubuntu 12.04 x64

Comment

Originally posted by Demibeard View Post
                      The only isue I have is Kmix crashing on startup and the Wicd KDE applet crashing on exit, I can cope with those.
                      Even on a newly created profile?

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                        Even on a newly created profile?
                        I haven't created a new profile, as far as I know. I just ran through the package manager update.

I've attached the kcrash report for anyone who might be able to help.

Thanks.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Demibeard; May 03, 2012, 02:06 PM. Reason: to attach the Kcrash file
                        AMD Phenom II X6 1100T + 8GB Ram + Radeon HD 6770 + Corsair Force GT60 /root + WD Caviar Black 1TB /home + Kubuntu 12.04 x64

Comment

Working...
                        X