X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ping reply times raise massively if creating WiFi traffic

Hello forum,
    I've got a very weird problem with my WiFi connection. At home I can connect to my router, everything works fine.
    At work I can connect to the router without any problem, just when I create traffic, the connection goes crazy.
    If I constantly ping the router: after connecting I get reply times from 2-8 ms which seems quite fine to me. Now, as soon as I open my browser and type whatever address (internet or the IP of my router) the ping reply times immediately raise to 3000-8000 ms Sometimes the times drop again for a while, which makes webpages loading very very slow and very irregular (but working.)
    Closing the browser won't bring the high reply times back to normal (they sometimes drop though to 500-2000 ms) Switch off and on the WiFi (software or hardware) and everything is fine again until I try again to create some traffic.

Other colleagues (all using windows) don't have any problems using the router or the internet.

Anybody got any idea what I can do to try solve this problem?
    Thanks for your help

Robin

It would help if we knew what kind of wi-fi interface you have, and which kernel module is loaded for it.
    Code:
    lspci -k

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      Here the output of lspci -k
      Code:
      00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge DRAM Controller (rev 09)
              Subsystem: Dell Device 053f
              Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
      00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
              Kernel driver in use: pcieport
              Kernel modules: shpchp
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller (rev 09)
              Kernel driver in use: i915
              Kernel modules: i915
      00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
              Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
      00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
              Kernel driver in use: mei
              Kernel modules: mei
      00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04)
              Kernel driver in use: e1000e
              Kernel modules: e1000e
      00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
              Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
      00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
              Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
              Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
      00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
      00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
      00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4)
      00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
      00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev c4)
      00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
              Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
      00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point LPC Controller (rev 04)
              Kernel modules: iTCO_wdt
      00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] (rev 04)
              Kernel driver in use: ahci
      00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Panther Point SMBus Controller (rev 04)
              Kernel modules: i2c-i801
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 11be (rev a1)
              Subsystem: Dell Device 153f
              Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidiafb
      03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (rev 35)
              Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 3x3 AGN
              Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
              Kernel modules: iwlwifi
      0c:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (rev 05)
              Kernel driver in use: firewire_ohci
              Kernel modules: firewire-ohci
      0c:00.1 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MMC/SD controller (rev 05)
              Kernel driver in use: sdhci-pci
              Kernel modules: sdhci-pci

Comment

Your computer contains Intel wi-fi, which is far superior to all other wi-fi in Linux. So that eliminates one potential source of problems.

Next: I suspect your router is probably configured to use a very large frequency band to obtain the marketing-department-manded super-mega-ultra speeds printed on the box. These are entirely artificial and serve no practical purpose in the real world, given that the incoming WAN bandwidth from your ISP is likely to be much lower. What brand and model wi-fi router do you have?

Comment

Sorry for my late reply, had a few days off.
          The router is a very simple D-link DIR 605. Only a password to access Wifi is set, all other settings are default. I can access the router settings, since it is not password protected

Comment

Somewhere in the configuration, you should find a way to adjust the wireless bandwidth. It's probably set to "automatic" or something similar. Change it to 20 MHz. You also might need to experiment with channel assignments -- is there a lot of other wi-fi in your vicinity?

Oh, and please put a password on the configuration page!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Somewhere in the configuration, you should find a way to adjust the wireless bandwidth. It's probably set to "automatic" or something similar. Change it to 20 MHz. You also might need to experiment with channel assignments -- is there a lot of other wi-fi in your vicinity?

Oh, and please put a password on the configuration page!
              Changed the bandwidth to 20 Mhz, set channel to auto, and choose a few other values then 6 (default). Changed band to n, b/g, n/b/g. All without result.
              The router belongs to a company that hires me, so I'm actually not even allowed to change the settings. But since there is no one else here who knows anything about it, they just let me, as long as their internet is working...

Comment

Hm. You might need to consult the forums at Tom's Hardware or Small Net Builder, then. Typically, changing to 20 MHz fixes these problems and/or altering the channel fixes these kinds of problems.

Comment

Working...
                X