This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set the computer as a wifi hotspot

Hi, I don't know if this was already asked before.

I've recently got a Kobo ebook reader, which can be connected to the web via wifi. At the moment, my internet connection is based on my cell-phone (a Nokia 5800), which I use as a modem, either by plugging it directly to my laptop, or by setting up a hotspot directly on the phone. The latter uses an ad-hoc connection, as far as I know it's not possible to have an infrastructure mode.

Now, the problem is that the ereader can't connect to ad-hoc connections.
    When I have connected my laptop to the net as as usual, is there some way to share the connection by setting-up a shared hotspot, in infrastructure mode, so I can get connected also with the ereader?

Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by sekhemty View Post
    Hi, I don't know if this was already asked before.

I've recently got a Kobo ebook reader, which can be connected to the web via wifi. At the moment, my internet connection is based on my cell-phone (a Nokia 5800), which I use as a modem, either by plugging it directly to my laptop, or by setting up a hotspot directly on the phone. The latter uses an ad-hoc connection, as far as I know it's not possible to have an infrastructure mode.

Now, the problem is that the ereader can't connect to ad-hoc connections.
    When I have connected my laptop to the net as as usual, is there some way to share the connection by setting-up a shared hotspot, in infrastructure mode, so I can get connected also with the ereader?

Thank you in advance.
    Yes and no. You can do it but you can't protect the network. This has been an ongoing thing for a long time. This explaings that: http://lamarque-lvs.blogspot.co.uk/2...-for-wifi.html

If you are still interested then: Network Manager (Icon on tray) > Manage Connections > Wireless > Add > Shared

Comment

Thank you, my home is kinda alone, so I don't mind having an unprotected network, also because I will use it only when needed.

Anyway, I tried doing what you say, but I can't get it to work.
      I added a new wireless shared connections like you suggested, and got it connected. It appeared when scanning for available connections on the ereader, but I wasn't able to connect.
      Back on the laptop, I opened again NM and looked up at the connections, which was set by default to "ad-hoc"; tried to change it to "infrastructure", but now when I tried to get it ready by clicking it on the tray icon menu, the process stops when attempting to configure the interface.
      Is there some setting that I need to configure properly?

Comment

Thank you, my home is kinda alone, so I don't mind having an unprotected network, also because I will use it only when needed.

Anyway, I tried doing what you say, but I can't get it to work.
        I added a new wireless shared connections like you suggested, and got it connected. It appeared when scanning for available connections on the ereader, but I wasn't able to connect.
        Back on the laptop, I opened again NM and looked up at the connections, which was set by default to "ad-hoc"; tried to change it to "infrastructure", but now when I tried to get it ready by clicking it on the tray icon menu, the process stops when attempting to configure the interface.
        Is there some setting that I need to configure properly?
        Some WiFi cards just don't support Infrastructure mode and some (probably most) devices don't support Ad-Hoc connections. Its very much possible you just have an incompatible combo.

Comment

The following text is the output of the command sudo lshw -c network, I'm not that expert so I can't figure out from this data if my card support infrastructure mode.

Code:
            *-network
                 description: Wireless interface
                 product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
                 vendor: Intel Corporation
                 physical id: 0
                 bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
                 logical name: wlan0
                 version: 02
                 serial: 00:1c:bf:c5:65:e1
                 width: 32 bits
                 clock: 33MHz
                 capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                 configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 driverversion=3.2.0-34-generic-pae firmware=15.32.2.9 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
                 resources: irq:44 memory:f8000000-f8000fff

Comment

My wireless router acts as a wifi hotspot.

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

The following text is the output of the command sudo lshw -c network, I'm not that expert so I can't figure out from this data if my card support infrastructure mode.

Code:
                *-network
                     description: Wireless interface
                     product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
                     vendor: Intel Corporation
                     physical id: 0
                     bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
                     logical name: wlan0
                     version: 02
                     serial: 00:1c:bf:c5:65:e1
                     width: 32 bits
                     clock: 33MHz
                     capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                     configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 driverversion=3.2.0-34-generic-pae firmware=15.32.2.9 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
                     resources: irq:44 memory:f8000000-f8000fff
              I don't know which cards do and don't support. The Ubuntu wiki has a detailed page but I do know that I can do it with iwlwifi with my intel 6230 card.

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              My wireless router acts as a wifi hotspot.

woodsmoke
              He wants to share an ethernet connection to the internet over the laptop's wifi.

Comment

Ok, thank you, I will try to see if my card is compatible, else I'll just assume that in this case I'm not lucky and get the ereader connected from somewhere else.

Thank you anyway

Comment

Working...
                X