This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duelling DHCP Servers?

We have a desktop running Kubuntu Precise Pangolin and we want it to talk to a wireless network through a dongle which is a DHCP server.

When other computers are connected to the dongle, they work. The dongle can find the WiFi just fine. Results were similar with a different wireless router, so we do not think the problem is in the WiFi configuration.

There is a suspicion that the desktop is also running a DHCP server, but this server has not been found so we cannot disable it. Software Avahi is installed, but its purpose is unclear and it may or may not include a problematic DHCP server.

So, if the desktop is running a DHCP server that is conflicting with the dongle, how do we find and disable it?

Thanks.

The dameon that runs a DHCP server on your computer is dnsmasq. You can check to see if it is installed and if it is remove it. It not installed by default but it may have been installed at some time. Restart the network after uninstalling and see if the issue persists.

Code:
    man dnsmasq
    Last edited by Detonate; Feb 24, 2013, 09:38 AM. Reason: Additional information added

Comment

strange - I can't find any links in the post I want to make, but the system won't let me post it because it says I don't have enough posts to post a link....

So I guess I need to try and get my post count up...
      Long time Linux user, but not programmer - Kubuntu release: "Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS" - direct install KDE Platform Ver4.8.5
      GRUB: 0.97-29ubuntu66 - PC - Lenovo Thinkpad SL500 - 800MHz dual core Centrino; Intel Mobile 4 Graphics; 2.92 GiB RAM, 2.96GiB swap; 320MB HD, DVDRAM drive

Comment

feel free to ignore this - more post count boosting?
        Long time Linux user, but not programmer - Kubuntu release: "Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS" - direct install KDE Platform Ver4.8.5
        GRUB: 0.97-29ubuntu66 - PC - Lenovo Thinkpad SL500 - 800MHz dual core Centrino; Intel Mobile 4 Graphics; 2.92 GiB RAM, 2.96GiB swap; 320MB HD, DVDRAM drive

Comment

Another - need to get to five posts...

Comment

Only need to get two more...

Comment

OK, this one should get me to five, so the next post will hopefully be the one I tried to make initially...

Comment

Finally - what I was wanting to make as my first post (still can't find any links in it...)

It is my machine that is having the problem. I was having problems getting registered (now solved thanks to the admins) and MGWMGW posted the first message for me...

The machine is a 1U Xeon server that I'm repurposing as a desktop machine. The place it's at only has wireless, and the machine only has two ethernet ports on it, but no wireless adapter... I'm attempting to use a Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter (WNCE2001) to connect with. This adapter has a mini-DNS server that it wants to use to assign the IP that it uses to connect to the ethernet side.

When I first installed the machine, it worked. It will work currently if I boot off a USB stick with a different distro, so I know the hardware is OK...

I have also tried using a borrowed Netgear WGR614 wireless router, and get similar problems

Currently when I boot the machine, the KDE startup screen sits for a long time saying that it's attempting to configure the network. Eventually it times out, and goes to the login screen - after I log in the network icon is a red X, saying "no network interfaces" If I go for more details, it says Network Manager is not running, please start it. Starting NetworkManager from a Konsole window, causes the toolbar icon to change to a ethernet port with a red X, but I still can't get a connection.

Per Detonate's suggestion, I checked my installed packages w/ Synaptic, and it says dnsmasq-base is installed - attempting to remove it makes Synaptic want to uninstall several other things, including network-manager. However the package description says it isn't supposed to install the daemon. But if I do a ps -ef |grep dns, I get a line that says dnsmasq is running...
                Code:
                /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -u libvert-dnsmasq --strict-order --bind-interfaces --pid-file=/var/run/libvert/network/default.pid --conf-file= --except-interface lo --listen-address 192.168.122.1 --dhcp-range 192.168.122.2,192.168.122.254 --dhcp-leasefile=/var/lib/libvert/dnsmasq/default.leases --dhcp-lease-max=253 --dhcp-no-override
                (note, I copied this by hand, any errors may be my fault)

There is no /etc/dnsmasq.conf file, despite what the man page says, so I don't know how this is getting started...

I'm finding the networking stuff massively confusing as it seems every configuration file I find is getting altered by something else... Is there any kind of central list of all the possible configuration files and such that one needs to look at (and in what order) in order to figure out what the networking stuff is actually doing?

Thanks
                ex-Gooserider

Comment

bump

Comment

Also see if dhcpd (not to be confused with dhcpcd) is installed.

Avahi is zero conf stuff and should not act as a dhcp server, it is required by kde.

It might be worth trying to connect manually, by running dhcpcd (or dhclient which ever you have installed) in debug mode after brining up the interface to find out what is going on (best to disable networkmanager first before trying to connect manually)

Comment

Working...
                    X