This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weird network activity

I'm wondering if someone can explain this small constant signal what it is?? I have no browsers open or other network stuff going on, i have checked for virusis, i've looked at all the logs but can't figure it out, it's just a small but continues blip all day long as shown in the pic. any idea's how i can trace it and find out what it is? thanks in advance.

You don't have an email client running? If 'no', then it could be the traffic between the PC and your router or other device you connect to the 'Net with.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok, i have a bell modem that connects to the internet, (no email) so the PC must be communicating with it then. makes sense. is there a log i can look at to see what is being sent or received?
      THANKS!!!

Comment

Yes, there's many small services that send out keep alive pings etc, could be anything really.

Re email client - with kmail/akonadi kmail does not have to be running for akonadi to be constantly pulling email down in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
          Yes, there's many small services that send out keep alive pings etc, could be anything really.

Re email client - with kmail/akonadi kmail does not have to be running for akonadi to be constantly pulling email down in the background.
          I checked to see if i had akonadi and kmail installed, and they where, even though i don't use them.
          keep alive pings... yea that makes sense.
          THANKS!!!

Comment

Depending on your ISP and the service type, that could be anything, DHCP requests, etc, or it could be some pimply faced kid in their mommy's basement pinging you, trying to 'hack' you, lol, you should be worried when you have large constant in and/or outbound traffice for no apparent reason.

Comment

Originally posted by quantum1010 View Post
              I checked to see if i had akonadi and kmail installed, and they where, even though i don't use them.
              keep alive pings... yea that makes sense.
              THANKS!!!
              If you haven't configured them then they won't run and won't connect to the internet.

Comment

Working...
              X