This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection to server lost (IMAP)

My HP DM4T notebook is giving me KDE Workspace Notifications every 2-3 minutes, two messages each time, one saying just "Connection lost", and the other saying "Connection to server lost". I thought it might relate to my wifi connection, so I turned that off & am using a wired connection but the notifications keep coming. All of the messages relate to the same school IMAP account. My other 3 IMAP accounts don't have this problem. But what's most intriguing is that I have another machine (a desktop) also connected to the same 4 accounts and that one has no such problem.

So, both machines are running 64 bit Kubuntu 12.04, both have their ethernet cables plugged into the same switch, both have the same 4 IMAP accounts configured the same way (in Thunderbird 17.0.2) but only the laptop has this lost connection problem.

The desktop has a Core i-7 3770 CPU and Broadcom NetLink BCM57781 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10) controller.
    The notebook has a Core i7-2640 CPU and Realtek RTL81111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller.

As far as I can see I have the same notifications enabled in both machines in System Settings.

When I run a Xubuntu session on the notebook there is no indication of any network connection problem. I only see it under Kubuntu. I don't know if that's because there is no problem in Xubuntu, or that Xubuntu has the same problem but just isn't reporting it. Of course, Xubuntu isn't running Akonadi ... but my desktop machine is running Kubuntu (and Akonadi) and seems to have no problem.

I can't find any logs or log entries that relate to these notifications. Any ideas on where to look or what I can do to find the cause?

Akonadi, while a valiant effort, still experiences occasional growing pains. If you simply delete and recreate that one malfunctioning Akonadi resource, I suspect your problem will go away.

Comment

Thanks Steve. That at least led me to discover where to look. Deleting the resource stopped the disconnect messages, but recreating it just brought them back, along with a new one, "unable to append item flags".

It turns out that the reason I don't have this problem on the new desktop machine is that Akonadi simply isn't running on it. It's in the system tray but not running. I'm using Thunderbird & I haven't configured Kmail or any of the other programs that use Akonadi.

On the notebook, I had originally tried Kmail and didn't like it, but I never uninstalled it or deleted the accounts when I switched to Thunderbird. I've been playing around with this on the notebook long enough. The easier solution is simply to delete all the resources and just turn Akonadi off (or uninstall it altogether).

But thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
      X