This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless does not work anymore.

I installed Kubuntu 12.04 a couple weeks ago, and the wireless worked fine. Today, I booted up computer and the wireless was off. I have a wireless switch on my laptop and so I flipped that on, but it still doesn't work. I have had the same problem with Ubuntu 12.04, and I have no idea what is wrong.

There was a kernel update on September 21st. Have you tried booting into the previous kernel and seeing if your wireless still works with it?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How do I do that?

Comment

Grub's boot menu, by installed default, is 'hidden' and you don't see it when you boot. Don't really know why the packagers seem to think this is desirable, but...

Press Alt+F2 and type:
        Code:
        kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub
        Enter your password and when the file opens make the following lines look like this:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
        #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
        GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
        GRUB_TIMEOUT=-10

Save and close the file. Then open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo update-grub2
        Then shutdown/reboot and you will see the Grub menu and the entry "Previous Linux versions". Select that and you will see the previous kernels to boot from.

Comment

Thanks, it works now.

Comment

I'd like to see the content of your /usr/src/ directory please.
            Code:
            ls -la /usr/src
            I'm believing that you have a directory there for your wireless driver, and if so, installing the package dkms will/should prevent this problem from occurring when you get kernel updates. Installing the package won't hurt regardless.
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install dkms

Comment

Working...
            X