This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

home network doubts

Hello! And thank you for any help in advance. And also let me apologize for any misspellings and grammar errors since english is not my natural language.

I am trying to migrate from a slackware distro to kubunto, and so I am still getting used to some of the concepts used in kubunto. I am really enjoying the plasma desktop with the auto update features of debian/ubunto/kubunto? It looks good and feels easy enough.

In my home network setup I have slack server running: pppoe for my dsl connection, arno iptables firewall, DHCP, DNS, squid proxy + a bunch of other toys that do not fit here in the Network Support forum.

And I would like to replicate, if possible, that setup on my kubunto 12.04, I believe it is possible but probably not in the way I am thinking on doing it.

I was really glad when I installed kubuntu on a machine and plugged a lan cable on my home network and voilá I was surfing the web with rekonq. I was able to access the samba shares at the slack server and in a windows machine on my LAN I was happy with this easy of use.

After meddling a bit with kubunto and googling a bit and prowling some bunto forums I came across some statements saying:

to just unninstal network manager and configure everything by hand

Yes I've been there with other distros no problem but I still would like to work with nework manager before I decide to remove it. And only if it is really necessary.

so I checked this link http://doc.opensuse.org/documentatio...sec.nm.usecase and it says that:

NetworkManager is not a suitable solution if my computer provides network services for other computers in your network, like a DHCP or DNS server.

So I would like to ask for more reading materials about the subject, tips, guides or links that would help me to put these server services UP side by side with network manager. Again if possible. The services would be pppoe, arno iptables firewall, DHCP, DNS, squid proxy

thx again

--- > yes 1st post!!!!!! < ---

Network Manager has improved a lot over the last couple years. So while at one time it might have been unwise to use it for static configurations, I'm not sure such warnings are necessary any more.

Comment

I used to remove Network Manager and install Wicd. I have not done so in 12.04. I have had no problems with Network Manager at all, with wired or wireless connections.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

All right! I will still read the docs for networkmanager and then try to do everything I need. If any issues arise I will be be back here.

Comment

Working...
        X