This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba fails to read shares

I have two installations of Kubuntu 12.04-64 which exhibit similar behavior. After installing the Samba server and configuring sharing on a directory named "Public", when using Dolphin to access Samba shares, Dolphin times out without displaying any of the available shares, including the one local to the machine.

At the same time, a Linux Mint 10 KDE 32-bit equipped machine, (same as Kubuntu 10.10), has no problem reading the shared folders on the two 12.04 machines, or itself. Neither 12.04 machine will read each other, themselves or the Mint machine.

I have examined smb.conf, compared the Mint version with the 12.04, compared testparm results and even copied the file from the Mint machine to one of the 12.04 machines. Comparing the files with Kompare shows no meaningful difference and copying the 10.10 version to the 12.04 machine had no effect.

Using system-config-samba I configured a 12.04 machine similarly to the 10.10. Again, no effect. The log files on the 12.04 machines have entries for each of the three server names, but have not been updated by the system since the initial installation. The first attempt to access the servers resulted in "Permission denied" entries in these files on the 12.04 machines. Interestingly, on one of the 12.04 machines the very first access through Dolphin did result in the system listing its own shared folder, but on the next boot the described failure appeared. No change in configuration had taken place at that point, but the failure persisted and still continues after three days of trying to get it to work.

I have tried both allowing access to everyone, as well as restricting access to "nobody" or a specific user, without noticeable effect. Adding "guest account = nobody" to smb.conf had no effect, as well. Log.smbd only lists failures to find a CUPS printer share, nothing about servers. Other than the outdated log.server_id files, nothing I have found sheds any light on this problem.

So, does anybody have any ideas where to look next?

Solved with information here: http://ubuntuswitch.wordpress.com/20...does-not-work/

Comment

great that you got that working ..............but if your just sharing on 2 or more linux box's you should look into NFS

NFSHowTo « Little Girl's Mostly Linux Blog

kind of dated info but still valid

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
      X