This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba File Sharing with Windows desktops

new install of Kubuntu 12.04 64bit. installed all available updates. installed Webmin.

created a 'share' within Webmin - /shared/music (custom created folder)

from my Windows desktop, i can view the network share and (in theory) its contents. i cannot add any files to the share though. i get an error stating 'access denied.'

i did make certain that the username and password are the same on the Windows desktop, Linux box and within Samba.

i then created another share - /home/joel/Music

again, i am given a 'access denied' error.

thanks for any help!

The following is written for Ubuntu 12.04, but should still be of benefit.

Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | Howto
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thank you very much for this!

i will be going through this walk-through shortly. i'll reply with my success or failure appropriately.

Comment

i did get Samba working, though not consistently. it works from my Windows 7 desktop, but not from my Kubuntu 12.04 laptop. so, i'll have to work through that.

on a semi-related note... i found this early today and thought it might be a bit useful.

http://www.simpleprecision.com/2012/...lation-tuning/

Comment

I didn't have any problems with Samba on a new default Kubuntu 12.04 installation (I required no modifications from the default installation). I was able to access the Windows 7 folders on the same hard drive, and also Windows server folders on a Windows-based NAS.

The only exception, of course, was when the folders or files had NTFS permissions that prevented access.

Make sure your folders are not NTFS-restricted if you wish to access them using Samba.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
          X