X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xrandr offers wrong video size for dual display

[SOLVED, though i do not know why or how]

Greetings.

I thought this would be easy. I have a two-monitor setup. Until Friday it involved a 1920x1200 monitor and a 1920x1080. The latter was the master, and is a 27-inch LCD. The former was just a 24-inch LCD. I was given a second 27-inch 1920x1080 monitor. I shut down, installed the new monitor in place of the 1920x1200 one. Started back up.

Previously, xrandr reported a 1920x2280 monitor when I had both attached, which was correct. But now it reports 1936x 2152, instead of 1920x2160. Nor can I find a place to force the correct geometry. Additionally, the new monitor, which works perfectly standalone, has strange ghosts and such.

Video card is a GeForce 630; both monitors are connected through its DVD-D outputs. I am using what I believe is the current nVidia driver as opposed to the Xorg version.

My sense is that there is a reconfiguration option that will fix this, but I have no notion what it might be. Additionally, the nVidia configuration program throws an error, to wit:

The program 'nvidia-settings' received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
    (Details: serial 668 error_code 1 request_code 135 minor_code 19)
    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

This error predates the change in monitors and the troubled monitor performance, however.

Anybody know how to fix this? (No "buy a different video card" is not what I'm looking for!)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dep; Aug 24, 2014, 07:02 PM.

Hi, it just so happens that I did the xrandr thing for an added vertical monitor thing, another thread, just search for xrandr, and ran into the same problem. I had the 660 video card, yes they are all iterations of the 600, and each have their quirks, but what I did was go to the xorg driver and things are just marvy.

I then went to a toshiba laptop which is now what I will be using exclusively with the vertical monitor and did the same thing and again, works marvy....

Now, mine is not DVD and it is a simple rotation of the screen but... something to maybe try.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks very much. Have you a recipe for reverting to the nouveau driver? everything i've seen is pretty draconian.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 24, 2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Hi,

go to settings or Vvidia thingy and pick the xorg driver that is presented........

rather like "momma knows best"............ Kubuntu will not steer you wrong! lol

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

[SOLVED] but i don't know how

employed the time-honored linux system of "i dunno -- i just did some stuff and then it worked." i know it included the configurator in kcontrol, sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, and something involving nvidia-settings run as root. anyway, it's working, though i'm not entirely (or even a little bit) sure how, or why.

Comment

Working...
          X