This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting rid of Catalyst AMD drivers

Apologies to the forum, I see this is already addressed in another thread.

Hi,

I recently built a web development machine with Kubuntu 12.04, as I had some upgrade issues with OpenSuse and wanted something stable with updates for a long time. It has an AMD Radeon HD 7700 video card, which worked fine after the install and various system updates. I stupidly decided to checkout the Catalyst drivers from AMD, and installed 13.1 off the AMD site.

Since then I keep getting X-server crashes, usually when I'm moving or resizing a window. I'd like to go back the original drivers but I'm not sure how. I goggled around and foundt this:

sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx*
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri fglrx-modaliases
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core

However, apt-get was unable to find one of the package (fglrx-modaliases, I think), and afterwords, X wouldn't start at all. I ended up reinstalling Catalyst from the command line to get the desktop back.

What is the simplest way to migrate away from the proprietary AMD drivers back to the open source ones? I hate to reinstall the OS, but if I reinstall without formatting the disk (to keep /home), is that likely to work?

Also, Nvidia cards are generally regarded as having more stable drivers, is there any real value in using the proprietary drivers? Or is that pretty much for trying to run games under Linux?

Dan
Working...
X