This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer Spooler Service has been stopped

I'm getting this message when I try to use Wine (CrossOver Office) to install a Windows (.exe) driver for my Canon iP4200. Could someone please explain what it means, and how to start the spooler again? This might be why I've got ~20 test files in the printer queue. Perhaps if this were fixed my CUPS+Gutenprint driver would be fine.
    -- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

I don't know. Why are you trying to install a windows driver? Does wine even have a printing system? The exe is probably looking for the windows bits that don't exist in wine, and your Linux system will not use whatever driver is installed inside of wine anyway.

Was your printer working previously in Linux?

Have you tried deleting those test files from your print queue?

I did find This from looking at this search
    Last edited by claydoh; Jan 19, 2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      I don't know. Why are you trying to install a windows driver? Does wine even have a printing system? The exe is probably looking for the windows bits that don't exist in wine, and your Linux system will not use whatever driver is installed inside of wine anyway.

Was your printer working previously in Linux?

Have you tried deleting those test files from your print queue?

I did find This from looking at this search
      Thanks for replying, Claydoh. Maybe I should have included a little more background.

The Windows thing was an act of desperation, after not finding Linux drivers and trying several things but then coming across a Canon ip4200.exe driver. It didn't install, but did give me that spooler message, and it seemed reasonable that that could be why the files were piling up rather than printing. When a file is sent, the print head seems to move (at least there's a lot of mechanical noise in there) but the critical "chunk" when it finally grabs the paper never happens.

I just bought this little Celeron machine at a local computer store (a return, loaded with Ubuntu 11.10) a couple of days ago. The Canon PIXMA iP4200 worked with its U-11.10, and I've been using it for years with Kubuntus from Hardy Heron to Oneiric Ocelot and with a Debian 5 installation. (This morning, needing to print a couple of letters, I copied them to a thumb drive, installed this printer on my old Hardy-based laptop, and printed them right out.) Since I prefer Kubuntu, I replaced U-11.10 with this K-12.04.1.

Searching this morning, I found Michael Cruz's advice, added his ppa to my Synaptic repository, did the update, but System Settings/Printer Configuration still offered only the CUPS+Gutenprint described in my other thread here. Somewhere else I found a .tar with cnijfilter-ip4200 files and extracted them (two plus a cnijfilter-common); since they're .deb files I tried installing them with QApt, but couldn't see any effect.

Yes, most of the files from the queue have been deleted. There are now only 3, resulting from the most recent attempts.

Hope this isn't too wordy --- obviously I'm not sure what information might be helpful or relevant.
      Last edited by werdigo49; Jan 19, 2013, 04:23 PM.
      -- Werdigo49
      Registered Linux User #291592
      Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Comment

It sure might help, if someone has seen similar problems. Too much info is much better than none for sure
        You just won't get any use out of a windows driver for a printer in linux.

I am not knowledgeable about cups/printer troubleshooting as I have not had any serious problems with any printer I have ever had - 5 of them to be exact over 13 years. You might want to delete the printer and try adding it back, or as suggested in one of my links disconnect the printer, delete it form the system, reconnect it, and see if it is detected. Perhaps try a different driver variant if one shows up in the driver list.

Comment

Working...
        X