This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon ip4200 printer

When I bought this refurbished machine Ubuntu 11.10 was installed and the printer worked fine. I replaced Ubuntu with Kubuntu, and seem not to have the correct driver, or something else, this printer needs. The Canon site shows that they have no Linux drivers. The printer is detected and shows "Canon PIXMA iP4200 - CUPS + Gutenprint 5.2.8-pre1" in the Printer Configuration/Driver Details. The test files are just building up in a queue, with the top green light on the printer flashing.

EDIT: I need new INK cartridges... that's probably the reason. I'd have deleted this post if I could have found the "delete" button.

EDIT2: The new ink didn't solve the problem. I plugged the iP4200 into my old Klikit laptop (an obsolete OS based, IIRC, on Hardy Heron); it installed a driver and correctly printed a test page. The driver is: "Canon iP4000 (Foomatic+gutenprint-ijs 5.0)". Guess I'll do some research on CUPS vs Foomatic.

EDIT3: I'm now running into the "pstocanonij not available" problem that Google shows others have encountered. No joy yet.
    Last edited by werdigo49; Jan 21, 2013, 09:58 AM. Reason: Report (un-) progress
    -- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Well, some more information... I guess that's progress. This is just a report.

This forum's heading includes "Does Kubunu have support for my device or peripheral?" It's looking as if the answer, for the Canon PIXMA iP4200 printer, is "NO."

Continuing my search for the missing "pstocanonij" file, I found the commercial TurboPrint site, where a forum participant posted (October 14, 2012) http://www.turboprint.info/support/v...php?f=4&t=1200

"A bit of history: My printer used to work perfectly fine until upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04. Then it would not print. The power LED would flash but nothing prints out (as described above). I've read that it was because CUPS was changed in 12.04 so IP4200 driver no longer works."

(He went on to say his TurboPrint (a 25e purchase) worked 80% of the time, better than U's 0% but not good enough. A TurboPrint rep offered him some help.)

I've searched for solutions to the question of why my iP4200 worked under Ubuntu 11.10 but doesn't under Kubuntu 12.04; the latest finding is that a file pstocanonij is needed, and I can't locate it. Next step is to spend 25 euros for TurboPrint; I think they have a 30-day trial period.
    -- Werdigo49

Comment

I've a Canon Pixma iP 4000, almost the same printer. I'ts working out of the box for me in 11.04 and 12.10, so I guess it should work in 12.04 too.. But when I installed it, there was a mark placed in system settings -> Printer -> Reject print jobs.
      Did you check there's no mark there?

Comment

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
        I've a Canon Pixma iP 4000, almost the same printer. I'ts working out of the box for me in 11.04 and 12.10, so I guess it should work in 12.04 too.. But when I installed it, there was a mark placed in system settings -> Printer -> Reject print jobs.
        Did you check there's no mark there?
        Thanks, G...if you have the 4000 working maybe there is hope for the 4200. But I have found no "reject print jobs" option anywhere in the printer installation. I just removed and reinstalled it, and it has check marks in Printer Status "Enable," "Accepting," and "Sharing" boxes. I chose "Print Test Page" and it's now #3 in the queue --- but nothing's printing.

Maybe I'll see what happens with a move up to 12.10.
        -- Werdigo49

Comment

Originally posted by werdigo49 View Post
          Thanks, G...if you have the 4000 working maybe there is hope for the 4200. But I have found no "reject print jobs" option anywhere in the printer installation. I just removed and reinstalled it, and it has check marks in Printer Status "Enable," "Accepting," and "Sharing" boxes. I chose "Print Test Page" and it's now #3 in the queue --- but nothing's printing.

Maybe I'll see what happens with a move up to 12.10.
          OK! Thanks, Goeroeboeroe! After the easy upgrade to 12.10 (I saw a new iP4200 driver on the list of updates) the printer is NOW WORKING.
          -- Werdigo49

Comment

Working...
          X