This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flashing the BIOS?

[SOLVED] O.K., I'm stumped. How does one flash the BIOSs on a Linux machine? I have a Lenovo X220, running Kubuntu 12.04x64. The only stuff I can find for flashing the BIOS is for Windows systems. I have a Windows VM, but I don't think that counts.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by Don; Dec 27, 2012, 04:02 PM. Reason: [SOLVED]

Need to look into the documentation of the maker of that motherboard. (For Intel, for example, there's iso or CD methods for Linux, easily performed.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It depends a lot on what the manufacturer provides for this. Often they only provide a Windows executable that creates a boot disk that contains the flashing tool or flashs it from within Windows. Many provide just the flashing tool, which you can copy over to a flash drive that has FreeDOS installed on it. You'll need to dust off some DOS command foo to start the program

Comment

Thanks for getting back so quickly. After a lot of searching (Lenovo doesn't make it easy), I discovered that the mobo is IBM-04w0702, but I am unable to find any BIOS updates for it. IBM won't let one in unless one is an IBM customer, and Lenovo appears not to count. More ideas?

I should say that the underlying problem is that I'm running Vmware and want to put a Windows 7x64 box on it, but my Lenovo keeps telling me that x64 won't work on the machine. "Binary translation is incompatible with long mode on this platform." I know that VT-x is enabled (even though I don't know what all that means).

Comment

Right on, Claydoh! I made a Windows flash CD, and it worked perfectly. I have the nagging suspicion that I should have thought of that, since updating the BIOS is pre-OS, as it were. I am grateful for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X