This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mother needs a printer that works with her Precise desktop

I set up my mother's desktop as a dual-boot system, leaving the original Windows on the disk as a backup because she knows it better. Unfortunately her all-in-one printer is a Dell, so it only works with her Windows installation, and the desktop is currently broken so she's getting by with a Gateway netbook, which of course can't run the printer.

She's told it'll cost $130 to wipe the disk and put a new Windows on her desktop. Then we'd presumably have to download drivers from Dell to run the printer, if that's even possible. But I'm wondering if we could get a printer for $130 or less that would work with Kubuntu and presumably with Windows as well, though that's secondary. It doesn't need to be an all-in-one because her existing machine can handle the non-print capabilities. A network-able printer would be nice but that's secondary as well. Primary requirements are (1) prints, regardless of what else it does, (2) works with Precise and installs relatively easily, and (3) can be had for around $130.

Anybody have a recommendation for such a machine?
    Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

See this thread. It basically answers all your questions, gives great recommendations etc.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...r-for-home-use

You could get a great printer for $130 so that shouldn't concern you. If the Windows install was an OEM install it should be pretty easy to reinstall and shouldn't cost her a cent. Unless you're set on Kubuntu (which is a good thing).

Comment

I actually read that thread and I should have said so, sorry about that. But I had trouble finding anything at Fry's that was both on the list at

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla.../databaseintro

and under $130. Where do you find the best deals on this kind of item? And thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Comment

As I said, I just walked into a local Wal-Mart. But did you try newegg.com?
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

NewEgg didn't list very many prices (you gotta click cart or checkout to get them).
          OTOH, Wal-Mart, general (on-line), HP:
          http://www.walmart.com/browse/printe...cet=brand%3AHP
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I have the HP-3050a , from wallmart think it was on sale for $45.00 or so works great on 12.04 prints,scans,copy's just fine for me .
            if you get one of the HP products get (from your package manager) hplip and hplip-gui plus anything elce you see in thare for HP printer's/scanners

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Very helpful information, thanks a lot! I feel more comfortable about advising her. I can't go with her because we live on opposite coasts but this info will be useful in leading her choice.

Comment

As I look through the Walmart list of HP printers I find only a few that are in the list of those that work "Perfectly" at

http://www.openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/HP

I can't find, for example, an HP 3050 at Walmart. Perhaps there's more choices in a store but as I said I can't go with her, so I need to give her a particular item to buy.

Does anyone have a printer in the "Perfectly" list whose driver is not in the Foomatic package? How would one get such a driver, is it available through apt-get?

Comment

Working...
                X