Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anybody else having printer problems?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anybody else having printer problems?

I have a Brother HL-1435, nice little workhorse laser printer (toner), anyway, it was working fine up until umpteen updates ago, now if I print, for example, a web page in Firefox (first use of printer after a boot), it works, but then, for example, I open an office document and try to print, I get blank pages, this problem is not program specific to any program, not matter what program I am 'second' printing from, I get blank pages. My workaround, currently, keep whatever program/printable item open, simply shut the printer off, turn it back on and it prints again, very strange. I should also mention, on the second printing event, in the printer dialogue window, it says "sending data to printer", as if it wasn't cleared from the last print, rebooting the printer only clears this and I am able to print again.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated. =)
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Dec 04, 2013, 10:19 AM. Reason: Was going to add tags, Brother HL-1435, Linux

Are you using the Brother Linux driver?
    http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...n.html#HL-1435
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

of course, like I said, I wasn't having problems until umpteen updates ago.

Comment

When sending a second print job to the printer, is the job still held in the queue even though its spewing out sheets of paper?

One thing to check, if you haven't already done it, is see if the printer driver is set up to the correct model. Although, I doubt an update will change that. And even if it has, why is it only working for the first time round.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a fault with the printers memory. It maybe not flushing out the first document correctly which is why you have to re-boot to print another print-job. Probably more of a bug with the driver not managing the printers memory correctly than an actual fault.

Sorry I cannot be of any more use or help.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
          of course, like I said, I wasn't having problems until umpteen updates ago.
          That umpteen udates ago, knocked my Brother printer out, I just reloaded the drivers and all was good.

Comment

A good thing to have is the Brother installer

http://www.brother.com/cgi-bin/agree...ng=English_lpr

Makes the driver load much easyer and it gets all of the buntu stuff loaded in for the printer also.

Darn those CUPS updates.

Comment

This post WAS full of misinformation, see post #12 for the ACTUAL fix.
              Last edited by tek_heretik; Dec 04, 2013, 10:16 AM. Reason: Misinformation

Comment

From the Brother web site, it says to use the HL-1430 driver for your HL-1435. When using the installer program did you from the CL do a "sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.0-1 hl-1435"
                or "sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.0-1 hl-1430"? Also did you check to make sure the Pre-required procedures were still in place? Ahhh, there are instructions to read.

Comment

Originally posted by zeeone View Post
                  From the Brother web site, it says to use the HL-1430 driver for your HL-1435. When using the installer program did you from the CL do a "sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.0-1 hl-1435"
                  or "sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.0-1 hl-1430"? Also did you check to make sure the Pre-required procedures were still in place? Ahhh, there are instructions to read.
                  Yeah, I kinda saw that, just seemed like way too much trouble to fix my problem, I find proprietary drivers to be overly bloated and complicated to install, then they are just self-serving ads for the hardware maker after installation. I found the pre-installation and installation instructions confusing at best, I rolled my eyes and clicked away (as in left the site and closed my browser).

Comment

I am a long time Brother all in one printer user, I agree that the Linux install Brother web site is a mess and very confusing to use, it has been that way for years. The installer info
                    is located in trouble shooting Q&A, under the question " the drivers did not load right", or something like that. Now with a text editor, copy and paste, and a little time one can make
                    their own install sheet. Now from my "How To Install":

# Pre-required Procedure (3)
                    Related distributions
                    Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Redhat
                    Related products/drivers
                    Printer drivers for DCP-1000, DCP-1400, DCP-8020, DCP-8025D, DCP-8040, DCP-8045D, DCP-8060, DCP-8065DN, FAX-2850, FAX-2900,
                    FAX-3800, FAX-4100, FAX-4750e, FAX-5750e, HL-1030, HL-1230, HL-1240, HL-1250, HL-1270N, HL-1430, HL-1440, HL-1450, HL-1470N,
                    HL-1650, HL-1670N, HL-1850, HL-1870N, HL-5030, HL-5040, HL-5050, HL-5070N, HL-5130, HL-5140, HL-5150D, HL-5170DN, HL-5240,
                    HL-5250DN, HL-5270DN, HL-5280DW, HL-6050, HL-6050D, MFC-4800, MFC-6800, MFC-8420, MFC-8440, MFC-8460N, MFC-8500, MFC-8660DN,
                    MFC-8820D, MFC-8840D, MFC-8860DN, MFC-8870DW, MFC-9030, MFC-9070, MFC-9160, MFC-9180, MFC-9420CN, MFC-9660, MFC-9700, MFC-9760,
                    MFC-9800, MFC-9860, MFC-9880

Requirement
                    Creating a symbolic link is required before the installation (superuser authorization is required to run the command)

For Debian based distributions earlier than Ubuntu8.10, Debian5:
                    "ln -s /etc/init.d/cupsys /etc/init.d/lpd"

For Redhat based distributions and Debian base distributions greater than Ubuntu8.10, Debian5:
                    "ln -s /etc/init.d/cups /etc/init.d/lpd"

# Pre-required Procedure (4)
                    Related distributions
                    Debian, Ubuntu
                    Related products/drivers
                    printer/PC-FAX drivers
                    Requirement (superuser authorization is required to run the command)
                    "mkdir /var/spool/lpd" command is required if the folder does not exist.

# Pre-required Procedure (5)
                    Related distributions
                    Debian 64 bit version, Ubuntu 64 bit version
                    Related products/drivers
                    printer/PC-FAX drivers
                    Requirement
                    ia32-libs or lib32stdc++ is required to be installed.

# Pre-required Procedure (6)
                    Related distributions
                    Distributions that do not have csh or tcsh by default
                    Related products/drivers
                    Printer drivers for DCP-110C, DCP-310CN, FAX-1815C, FAX-1820C, FAX-1835C, FAX-1840C, FAX-1920CN, FAX-1940CN,
                    FAX-2440C, MFC-210C, MFC-3220C, MFC-3240C, MFC-3320CN, MFC-3340CN, MFC-3420C, MFC-3820CN, MFC-410CN, MFC-420CN,
                    MFC-5440CN, MFC-5840CN, MFC-620CN

Requirement
                    csh or tcsh is required to be installed.

# Pre-required Procedure (9)
                    Related distributions
                    Distributions using firewall
                    Related products/drivers
                    scan-key-tool
                    Requirement
                    UDP Port 54925 is required to be open.
                    Example of the setting location;
                    OpenSUSE10.0: Yast-> Security and Users-> Firewall-> Allowed Service->Advanced
                    Fedora10: System-> Administration-> Firewall-> Other Ports

#### Make sure the printer is connected, ether USB or network cable. If network also have the ISP numbers of the router to printer connection, before starting!!! #####

Use the Brother install program to install the printer.

The installation instructions are below:

Open a terminal window and go to the directory you downloaded the file
                    to in the last step.

Enter this command to extract the downloaded file:

Command: gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.0-1.gz

Get superuser authorization with the "su" command or "sudo su" command.

Run the tool:

Command: bash linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.0-1 Brother machine name

The driver installation will start. Follow the installation screen
                    directions.
                    When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI ?",

For USB Users: Choose N(No)
                    For Network Users: Choose Y(Yes) and DeviceURI.

Check Printer Setup:

Step 5a. (for USB Connection) Check your printer on the cups web interface
                    5a-1. Open a web browser and go to "http://localhost:631/printers".

Check if the Device URI of your printer is "usb://Brother/(your printer's model name)"
                    If the device URI is different from the example above, please go to "Modify Printer" of your printer to select proper device and driver.

If your printer is not listed on "http://localhost:631/printers", please go to "http://localhost:631/admin" and click "Add printer" and select proper device and driver.

Step 5b. (for Network Connection) Configure your printer on the cups web interface
                    5b-1. Open a web browser and go to "http://localhost:631/printers".
                    5b-2. Click "Modify Printer" and set following parameters.

- "LPD/LPR Host or Printer" or "AppSocket/HP JetDirect" for Device
                    - lpd://(Your printer's IP address)/binary_p1 for Device URI
                    - Brother for Make/Manufacturer Selection
                    - Your printer's name for Model/Driver Selection

This is the for the printer only.
                    If you have any questions with this, ask away. :cool:

Comment

@ zeeone, re post #10, that is exactly what I am talking about in post #9. =)

Comment

Nevermind admins, changed post #7 myself. Because after more updates, I had problems again. The only thing that DID solve the problem was installing the Brother CUPS driver (unpack the archive, run it in bash) BUT, I didn't know the 'URI' (system wide string of characters Linux looks for to use the printer) while in the command line, so I answered no to providing the URI, finished the command line install, went to the systems settings printer utility, removed the 'new' printer, then ran the add new printer configuration utility again, this time it showed ONLY the freshly installed CUPS Brother driver, not the 4 or 5 others usually 'found', selecting that driver put the proper URI in automatically and I am printing trouble free now.

Special thanks to zeeone, reading this thread a second time encouraged me to actually run the Brother installer, worked like a charm except for the URI hiccup.

This is a sample of MY URI (this is only specific to my situation, other Brother owners may have and probably will have a different URI):
                        Code:
                        usb://Brother/HL-1435%20series
                        Nobody will know the exact URI format/text when asked in the Terminal window, so see above in this post FOR THE ACTUAL FIX.
                        Last edited by tek_heretik; Dec 04, 2013, 10:33 AM. Reason: Corrections, added link

Comment

Working...
                        X