X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info: Kubuntu 12.04 on HP-g6 with i3-2350M and HD3000

Hello,

This is my first thread here, and just want to share information about compatibility of Kubuntu 12.04 with a somehow new hardware: HP-G6 laptop with i3-2350M and Intel-HD3000 graphics. Works beautiful, but installation has to be tricked.

Issues were with the HD3000 graphics: live USB/CD/DVD boots, but shortly after, the screen gets black and that's it. And this happens with all Linux distributions based on 3rd generation kernels, all except RedHut/Fedora.

Of course I tried Fedora-KDE (which installs with 3d acceleration, while Gnome doesn't), and the featured Kororaa-KDE. And, while in live-USB all was perfect, after installation to the hard disc I got black screen at the first boot, when post-installation procedures (setting up the first user profile) were running. Unfortunately RedHut has this procedure at the first boot, instead of having it during the installation. Had to give up.

And retried Kubuntu, but this time live on an older computer, and found the screen HD3000 didn't see: the welcome screen with choices for languages and try vs. install. Also found that, only using the keyboard, I could confirm the try option: a first Tab (for en-us), a second Tab (for try option), and Space (to confirm). Neither arrows nor enter did work to move between choices or to confirm them. Tab replaces the arrows and Space replaces enter.

Now, I tried these keyboard shortcuts, blind, on the i-2350+HD3000 in live-USB, when the screen went black. Surprise: splash screen showed up and got the Kubuntu on the screen. Installed it to the hard disk, but at the first boot got a black screen at the login. Blind-taped the username and the password followed by enters, and after several trials got the splash screen back. First thing, I went to the Login Screen (in System Settings) and set the login screen to show no user, but to guess it at the first typed letter. Installed also some non-administrative users and checked not to ask the password for these. Later I also did install Grub2 Bootloader (System Settings – Startup and Shutdown), because no grub appeared at startup (now it does). And this is about all. I still have to blind-type in the first login screen, but only the first username letter followed by enter (and this is all for the non-administrative accounts). When switching users, login screen appears, only at new boot doesn't.

Finally, the machine works absolutely beautiful, including all 3d animations (edited: from cube, to flawlessly 1080p youtubes). I also changed the video-player in Firefox, from the default one to vlc (vlc uses more efficiently the HD3000 graphics than the default Internet player, so it keeps the cpu colder).

To resume: Tab, Tab, Space, and go for it.

Edited: See my third post and say back nothing!

Bests,
    Last edited by aria; Dec 02, 2012, 08:17 PM.
    aria

You can try to fix your issues with upgrading kernel to newest version from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    Also you can update your graphic drivers to the latest stable release from here: https://launchpad.net/~glasen/+archive/intel-driver or to newest from git: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers.
    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Thanks Schnelle, but, as the only issue I still have with 12.04 is the login screen after boot, I prefer to wait for the 12.10. This spring, when I tried Pinguy 11.04 (Gnome 2) on this machine, I had only basic Compiz (some animations, but no cube), so tried upgrades to kernel 3.x.x, but gave nothing. Also tried Fedora/Kororaa 17, with kernel 3.4.x, and had the same issues I have with Kubuntu 12.04 (same in nature, although different blind screens). But the way it works now, doesn't bother me at all, so will wait for 12.10.

Kubuntu 12.04 was the only kernel 3 distribution bringing 3D animation (and the cube), I could install on this machine (although Fedora/Kororaa 17 behaved the same way, but couldn't finish the installation).

Edited 1:
      A detail concerning these black screens: the liquid crystals work, just the backlight doesn't. With a lamp in front of the screen, the image created by LCs can be seen like a shadow (as the polarizers are able to reflect some very little light). Problem seems to be of the kind of a bug: video driver doesn't install (complete?) before login, and at the same time the generic video driver stops working (at least partially at login). Don't think it is a 2D-3D issue, as I have image on the screen up to the login (and after, but not at...). Also, this happens only at a fresh boot. If logging-of to change the user account, the login screen shows up as it should. It shows up maybe because the video driver is already installed (which doesn't seem to be the case at a fresh boot). All these really look like a bug.

Edited 2: See my post below...

Thanks again,
      Last edited by aria; Nov 28, 2012, 09:10 PM.
      aria

Comment

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! Why didn't I think to try the light-up button (f3 on the HP-G6)? The image on the LCD was there (as mentioned in the post above), just the backlight wasn't. Hitting the f3 lighted up the screen. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

Don't call me...
        Last edited by aria; Dec 02, 2012, 08:19 PM.
        aria

Comment

Working...
        X