X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High resources usage?

Hi all!
    I've installed new version of Kubuntu (I mean 12.04). But I realised something that my laptops cooler fan always running at least its half speed. And also when I'm using Kubuntu, my laptop is getting hotter than when I'm working on Windows 7. Is there a problem in Kubuntu about hardware resources usage? Or should I change some settings in Kubuntu to use my hardware at optimum?

Thanks for all readings and answers.
    Ps. English is not my mother tongue. I hope I could explain myself clearly. Best regards.

open a terminal and run "top" (without the quotes) and see what's using up the cpu.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well, it could be anything.

Give the system monitor a look maybe it can give us a hint.
      I guess it's Nepomuk (virtuoso-t).
      "Just keep on learning. Little by little... If you're empty, then you can take in anything. If you want to be reborn, then it's in your best interest to become empty." - Vinland Saga

Comment

I've taken two snapshots, one for "top" command and one for system monitor. I've realised that sometimes Xorg and ksysguard processes are using lots of CPU (like %20-30). And also I want to specify that my laptop has 2 GPU on it. One is Intel GPU (inside the Core-i7 processor), and the other is AMD 7690XT. Windows 7 is using both them separately according to application. If application needs more power, than Windows 7 automatically selects AMD GPU, if else, then Windows 7 selects Intel GPU to save the battery. But I noticed that if I move windows in Kubuntu, Xorg is starting to use more CPU. I though maybe Kubuntu can not control both of GPU as well as Windows 7. It looks like Kubuntu generally uses Intels GPU. So, my CPU usage is becoming higer. (It's just a theory ) (And also if I want to change my screen brightness, my function keys are not working. I have to run terminal and write some command to change screen brightness. However when I want to change screen brightness by using terminal, I have to use a command related to Intel GPU. If I use a command related to AMD CPU to change the brightness, it does not work)

Comment

I have a Lenovo W520 with two GPU's, an Intel and an nVidia.
          At boot I can select in the BIOS which I want to use.
          I installed Bumblebee and can choose which GPU to use for a particular application.
          It seems it does not support ATI.

Comment

Working...
          X