This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi will not do WPA

This is the last bug I have found in 12.04 (and to be honest, I have seen this occuring in other 3.2 Kernel releases as well). My wifi card will connect with WEP perfectly... but while it says it connects with WPA2, it will not move any traffic. The card is (from lspci):

03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (rev 34)

This worked under Debian Wheezy with a 3.0 kernel. Don't know about 3.1 since they went straight to 3.2... then it stopped working. Moved to Kubuntu and got more of the same. I have tried losing network-manager and using wicd instead, but it makes it worse... then I can't even connect with WEP. My lsmod shows:

mac80211 506816 1 iwlwifi

Any thoughts? Did I include enough stuff? Probably not.

Anything suspicious in /var/log/syslog?

Also, maybe try out the latest build of kernel 3.4?

Comment

I doubt its a general problem with Wifi not doing WPa2 as my 12.04 desktop has been handling WPA2 flawlessly since Alpha 2. Probably something specific to the drivers for your wifi card.

Comment

I agree with this. I am finding a lot of reports with people having problems with Intel wifi cards under Linux 3 kernels. Ranging from encryption to total loss of connectivity. I just wish they would fix this in the kernel. At least I can do WEP... apparently a lot of others can't. If I try the latest kernel as suggested above, and things get worse... is it difficult to back out? I've never run a beta kernel before.

Comment

Hm... Intel wireless in three laptops here and no problems.

As far as trying different kernels... fortunately, installing a new kernel doesn't cause the old one to be replaced. Your GRUB menu will show the latest kernel and an option to boot earlier ones. If the 3.4rc4 kernel causes you problems, just boot into the earlier kernel and remove the 3.4. However, I can say that I've been running each 3.4rc as it came out and they've all worked well.

Comment

Working...
          X