This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 12.04 Biggest Issue I see!

Why is it that to install ( fresh Install ) we don't have LVM as an option in the standard installer

Why do I need an Alternate Install Media to do this? Kubuntu is a Modern Linux Distribution and by default it should be using LVM. When the normal disk drive is 500GB to 3 TB in size why not be using Current technologies by default that allow you to expand your filesystems on the fly.

This should be the standard no need for special installation media to handle this it should be all in one. Heck even Centos and Read Hat have had this for years Make the default to use LVM and allow custom if someone really does not want it.

Sorry for the rant but this is the only problem I see Everything else is working great except that I will need to reinstall in 5 days to get the LVM support

The Alternate install CD allows for LVM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The abilities of LVM are of little concern to the average desktop user.
      Those that need it are no typical desktop users and know very well how to enable it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        The Alternate install CD allows for LVM.
        I already said that in the original post

Why not just put it in the standard and eliminate the Alternate. It is an option you should not need a special image just for that

Comment

Also, this wont be an issue when btrfs becomes the default (when ever that might be) as it offers extensible storage (raid 1 and 0) allowing you to add more drives after install and it much simpler to use the LVM.

Comment

Originally posted by mfburgo View Post
            I already said that in the original post

Why not just put it in the standard and eliminate the Alternate. It is an option you should not need a special image just for that
            The Live CD that allows you to try it before you install it is the special image. The alternate CD, although poorly named, is really the standard CD and has much more capability besides LVM. To fit the live image on a single CD, however, not everything from the stadard image could be kept.

Comment

Working...
            X