X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Precise on the Toshiba NB550D

Hi!
    I've just installed the Precise beta on my NB550D and would like to share my experience and ask for help on a couple of situations.
    First, I already have 11.10 on another partition, running well with the exception of suspend. The symptoms there are that with the amd binary drivers (fglrx) the netbook suspends, but hangs at resume after a flash of the HD light and after enabling the WIFI. Sometimes suspend/resume works well after a hibernate. With the open source drivers, the only difference is that resume works after a short suspend. If the suspend takes more than a couple of minutes, the symptoms are the same as with the closed binary drivers.

Now to my experience with 12.04 on a clean partition:
    Most things worked (and I am forcing myself to use plasma-netbook for a while to see if I can adapt to it), but there were a few problems:
    - Backlight didn't work at first - the function keys worked, and the indicator showed on the screen, but the light was always at maximum. Blacklisting the toshiba_acpi module got the blacklight to work again.
    - Suspend has the same symptoms as in 11.10 - works on the open source drivers if the laptop is suspended a short time, hangs at resume if it took more than a couple of minutes since the suspend.
    - Hibernate just doesn't do anything - either from the function key or from the shutdown menu, I only get the warning that the screen is going to be locked, then nothing happens, the netbook keeps working.
    - I have a strange problem, in that I put my opendesktop.org login on the page1 community applet. Now I get 5 popups at login saying that the opendesktop.org api doesn't need login and asking if I am sure.
    - Pulseaudio (which I had removed from 11.10 as it always gives problems with skype) defaults to using the HDMI audio instead of the analog audio, but that is easily fixed. I had to enable the auto-mute (for when one inserts an headphone) in alsamixer, as I couldn't find how to do it anywhere.
    - I can't find the akonadi-google package, and the akonadi-kde-resource-googledata gives errors connecting to my google calendar; googling seems that this is deprecated, and I probably should install akonadi-google from the same ppa I installed it on 11.10.

As I said before, most thing works well, and that includes hardware accelerated mplayer2 (with -vo:gl_nosw). What I need help now is finding why nothing happens when I try to suspend, and what is the recommended way to sync akonadi with google calendar and contacts.

Thanks!
Working...
X