This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12.04 does not mount PTP camera

I use a USB cable to connect to and transfer images from my Fujifilm FinePix X100 camera. This has worked perfectly in versions 10.04 to 11.10 but it does not work with 12.04. I must point out that it is not just Kubuntu 12.04 but it also occurs in the 12.04 versions of Ubuntu and Xubuntu having worked in 11.10 versions. It also works happily in Win 7 and 8.

lsusb shows:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04e8:329f Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0409:0058 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 055f:021c Mustek Systems, Inc. BearPaw 1200 CU Plus
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 058f:6377 Alcor Micro Corp. Multimedia Card Reader
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0603:00f2 Novatek Microelectronics Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 046d:c01d Logitech, Inc. MX510 Optical Mouse
    Bus 001 Device 013: ID 04cb:022c Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd

And dsmeg:

[ 205.412146] usb 1-3.4: new high-speed USB device number 9 using ehci_hcd
    [ 287.118655] usb 1-3.4: USB disconnect, device number 9
    [ 308.324165] usb 1-3.4: new high-speed USB device number 10 using ehci_hcd

When the camera is conneted, disconnected and connected again.

So the connection is noted but the OS does nothing with it. Any ideas?

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...evice-Notifier

These were my findings on the subject a while back...

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab View Post
      http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...evice-Notifier

These were my findings on the subject a while back...
      Thanks for the reply, The Dolphin solution works. At least I can use the camera cable connection now.

If all PTP cameras are affected and there are many that are PTP only (like the X100), surely they should fix this as it will affect many users?
      Last edited by Malcy; Apr 21, 2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I'm a very active photographer and consider hooking the camera up via a cable the worst solution to getting your pictures, regardless what is the OS..
        Get a card reader and become happy!

So no, I don't think it affects many users though it is anoying when the option is seemingly there.

B.t.w, that's a nice camera you picked!

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          I'm a very active photographer and consider hooking the camera up via a cable the worst solution to getting your pictures, regardless what is the OS..
          Get a card reader and become happy!

So no, I don't think it affects many users though it is anoying when the option is seemingly there.

B.t.w, that's a nice camera you picked!
          I see the 'use a card reader' line every time cable transfer is mentioned on forums.

Please tell me why the card reader is a better solution.

Comment

2char

Comment

Teunis, your avatar is evil!

Comment

My avatar is only evil where screen bugs are endemic or hygiene is a foreign word c.q taken to extremes

Back on topic, the advantage of a card reader are for example speed and control (as in no special drivers needed) plus no drain on the camera's battery.
                Card readers are cheap, especially compared to an X100...

The only place I see for a cable is when you are in a studio environment and want the results displayed on a larger screen but that's more likely done via HDMI and you use external power.
                Lightroom ($$$, MAC & Windows) and sofortbild (Free, MAC) will allow operation of certain cameras via USB, it's usually referred to as 'tethered shooting'.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                  My avatar is only evil where screen bugs are endemic or hygiene is a foreign word c.q taken to extremes

Back on topic, the advantage of a card reader are for example speed and control (as in no special drivers needed) plus no drain on the camera's battery.
                  Card readers are cheap, especially compared to an X100...

The only place I see for a cable is when you are in a studio environment and want the results displayed on a larger screen but that's more likely done via HDMI and you use external power.
                  Lightroom ($$$, MAC & Windows) and sofortbild (Free, MAC) will allow operation of certain cameras via USB, it's usually referred to as 'tethered shooting'.
                  Well, it's all down to pesonal preference.

I have never needed special drivers, on Linux or Windows, in fact this PTP issue is the first problem and I have had Digital cameras for over a decade. Speed isn't an issue on modern equipment, transfers are rapid and the tariff on battery charge is minimal. It really is less hassle just plugging in a cable rather than removing the card, putting it in the card reader and plugging that in. One of my cameras uses Compact Flash which as you may know uses a socket filled with tiny pins which are all too easy to bend (I have seen the results a number of times, hideously expensive to repair), so if there is a pain free way of avoiding this danger, then I will use it.

Comment

Working...
                  X