Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six days until release. Thinking of a slightly unorthodox install.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six days until release. Thinking of a slightly unorthodox install.

I have no clue why I'm even pondering this. It really seems rather superfluous, is likely not possessed of any particular advantages, and sounds dangerously close to causing no end of frustration...

I'm thinking of compiling my 12.04 install from source. Yes, everything. Set up a build environment, download source packages, and MAKE the hell out of it all.

Am I nuts?

Am I nuts?
    Without doubt.

But... consider the rebranding options;

"Humma Kavula Linux"
    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Yeah! I can see it now:

Humma Kavula Linux: don't install stupid.
      (Includes point-of-view gun, because who needs opinions?)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Am I nuts?
        I say go for it, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If successful, you'll garner a nice shot of well earned self-esteem plus maybe a warm fuzzy feeling. If not, at least you gave it an effort and can draw on the satisfaction that you tried.... if you are prone to throw things or slam fists on to the computer desk, send love ones away from the area first... no one likes to see a grown man cry.

Comment

Well, I have this weird habit of venturing into scary territory. I just can't ever seem to be happy with "as is," ya know?

Comment

Or, you might get so irritated trying to do it that you kick the dog.
            The dog then chases the neighbor's cat in frustration.
            The cat was supposed to eat some cat food but doesn't.
            The neighbor's wife, looking for the cat trips over the catbowl and the pain of falling makes her think that she has broken her hip and calls an ambulance.
            The ambulance, coming to help the woman rounds a curve too fast and throws a hubcap.
            The hubcap goes rolling downhill and the dog, which was chasing the cat, is now chasing the hubcap.
            A kid on a bicycle almost runs into the dog and tips his bike over avoiding the dog.
            The kid was the kid who delivers your morning paper, but since the kid can't ride his bike, the newspaper has to be thrown by a digruntled part-timer.
            He is so mad that he is throwing the papers everywhere and in your case throws the paper through the window.
            The paper hits the computer and knocks it from the table and it is now permanently broken and you take it to a repair clinic.
            So.
            First Moral to the story.
            If you try to build your own OS you will give part time help to at least one person and provide income to a repair person for your computer.
            However, the guilt of the woman even THINKING that she had broken her hip causes you so much angst, that again, you kick the dog.
            The dog....leaves and takes up with an old man on the other side of the block who is friendless.
            The old man does not attempt to commit suicide but if he had so attempted, he would have accidentally missed so the bullet, which would have missed him, does not kill the pigeon that was roosting on a powerline outside your house.
            The second moral to the story is that if you attempt to build your own OS that a pigeon that was not accidentally killed will drop a big plop on your car thereby giving an example of the old adage that s@#t happens to the nicest of people.
            The third moral to the story is that, and there always has to be a THIRD moral.....
            Is that if you attempt to build your own OS your wife will put on a very tight pair of jean cutoffs and a very tight red "handkerchief" shirt top, tie it at the waist, put up her hair and go out to wash the car on that very warm afternoon, and she will get all WET and you will be sitting there stareing out of the window at her washing that nasty plop off the car and think....
            Just how LUCKY can a guy be!?

woodhasn'tbuiltanossinceArchsmoke
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 20, 2012, 10:58 PM.
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

She wears the same thing when she cleans inside the house, too. Yeah baby!

Comment

lol
                woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Id say give it a go. If you fail, its easy enough to do a fresh install from the CD.

Comment

Wow! I don't know whether to be impressed or horrified. Maybe a bit of both. There's a reason I gave up on Gentoo.

Comment

Yeah, bills for electricity are sky high for Gentoo users.
                      Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Too good WoodSmoke!!! Too Good!!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          I'm thinking of compiling my 12.04 install from source. Yes, everything. Set up a build environment, download source packages, and MAKE the hell out of it all.
                          That should keep you busy over a rainy weekend! ;-)

Seriously, I would think that learning how to set up the build environment, alone, would be a skill worth learning. Every time I get near trying it, I think "why, oh why?" and I haven't yet come across an answer that works for me.

Comment

thankee moonrise.

woodsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

"A slightly unorthodox install"

Within the context of your question you have a slightly unorthodox definition of both the words slightly and unorthodox.
                              I assume you feel bored with the Daisy Dukes and have time on your hand?

Comment

Working...
                              X