This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is There a Way to Restore the Plymouth Screen to Default

This post is related to an earlier post I made concerning problems after an Ubuntu 12.04 installation on another HDD. Most of the issues I had with Ubuntu overwriting defaults have been fixed, However, and this is not a major issue, the Plymouth screen right after the grub screen still has the ugly gray on gray Ubuntu 'gear' screen. It would be nice to replace it with the nice bright blue default Kubuntu screen instead. I had a small disaster trying to uninstall Plymouth (anyone considering this; DON'T DO IT!) and reinstalling it. Even after reformatting the Ubuntu drive and doing a complete Kubuntu reinstall, I'm still stuck with the Ubuntu screen. Is there a simple way to restore this default?

capt-zero

Plymouth

What are the plymouth options ?

Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

The default plymouth kubuntu logo - Package: plymouth-theme-kubuntu-logo (1:12.04ubuntu4):

Options - not in any order:

A) Install the older version (force version) through the package management.

B) Install the older version as new theme - side by side the new plymouth theme.

An example: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...043#post295043

C) Make an own plymouth theme.

An example: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...Plymouth-theme
    Last edited by OneLine; Apr 20, 2012, 11:26 AM.
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

OneLine,

I supposed the short answer is, there isn't an easy way and what is showing on my screen IS the default logo. Insteresting, when I first installed 11.10 back in March, I ended up with the blue Kubuntu logo and had that until I tried to install Ubuntu 12.04 on a different HDD. Since then, I've the gray on gray Plymouth start screen. It looks like I'll have to learn a little more about changing files and such before I can do anything about it. However, your links did provide a lot of interesting reading.

Thanx,
      capt-zero

Comment

This screen has been updated from the old blue to the present grey sometime last week.
        With 'update' I mean I find the new grey theme quite classy and a nice change to the historically very blue KDE.
        The themes of Kubuntu seems to change about every 3 or 4 releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          This screen has been updated from the old blue to the present grey sometime last week.
          With 'update' I mean I find the new grey theme quite classy and a nice change to the historically very blue KDE.
          The themes of Kubuntu seems to change about every 3 or 4 releases.
          I disagree. The blue theme was very elegant. The new gray one tries to be minimalist classy, but, in my opinion, it's just ugly.

Comment

I agree. The blue did look more modern and as geoarajo said elegant. The gray screen reminds me of the old Mac SE. Kubuntu is anything but drab. I'm not sure what developers are thinking when they use these plain-jane weak defaults. I guess they are afraid of offending someone and we are sometimes stuck with milquetoast.

capt-zero

Comment

Bah, I still hate Plymouth. Text-mode boot FTW.

Comment

Agree, the new one is butt ugly. When i first saw I presumed some sort of mistake.

Comment

Dave Lentz is keeping his mediahacks PPA up to date, so if you want to rid yourself of Plymouth in a relatively easy manner, you can...

Comment

Working...
                  X