This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see Grub and plymouth in black and white

Since I turned on the PC today, I see the Grub and plymouth in black and white. I tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers but that haven't solved anything

Moray33,

A little trick from Steve. Try 'sudo apt-get install kde-config-grub' to put Grub2 Bootloader in you "Shutdown/Startup" menu in the "Settings" menu. You can setup different themes, fonts, wallpapers, ect. from it.

capt-zero
    Last edited by capt-zero; Apr 17, 2012, 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I tried to change colours but I still see in black and white. I don't think it's a grub problem, because I also see the plymouth with the Kubuntu logo and stuff all in black and white... I don't know, but yesterday some update must have changed something... Nobody else have this problem?

Maybe I could try restarting some configuration about it, is there any way? Any files that I should delete?

Comment

I don't know, it seems that kde-config-grub doesn't work or something. I tried changing the default entry but it didn't change. By the way, using the kernel 3.2.0-22 the startup plymoth looks fine but at showdown it looks in black and white again.

Also, and this is weird, when the plymouth is in black and white there's only a big kubuntu logo without letters, but with is in colours, there is the word "Kubuntu" with a small kubuntu logo on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by moray33 View Post
          I don't know, it seems that kde-config-grub doesn't work or something.
          No it doesn't work even in 11.10. As far as I can remember Oneline said that it is still in development. That's why it hasn't been inluded in 4.8.*. releases. I was able to set a background image for grub, but changing text colour indeed doesn't work.
          Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
            I was able to set a background image for grub, but changing text colour indeed doesn't work.
            Not true, at least, if you do what grub2 is looking for.

If you look at the /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme file, you will see:
            # Include the configuration of desktop-base if available.
            if [ -f "/usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh" ]; then
            . "/usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh"
            fi
            You just need to create this file in that directory. This is what mine contains:
            WALLPAPER="/boot/grub/images/Sharks-1600x900.png"
            COLOR_NORMAL="white/black"
            COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="yellow/black"
            This is where you set the colors you want to use. Works just as it was intended.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. +1
              I was talking about kde-config-grub. It can purge old kernels and set a background image and nothing else presently.
              Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Well, this problem isn't because of the nVidia graphic cards, because today I did a new install of Kubuntu 12.04 Beta 2 in another PC (with Intel graphic card) and after update packages happens the same...

Comment

Working...
                X