Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kmail constantly going offline and not coming back.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail constantly going offline and not coming back.

Hi folks,

still testing with kmail which seems to be a bit more stable now than it was a few months ago, but I am still having a couple of issues.

I'm connecting to an imap server and the connection is constantly going offline. I think it happens when the screen saver is activated, but it never comes back online again without forcing the issue with akonadi console, restarting the agent many times and synchronizing from there. There is no way the mug user would put up with this.

I can't get it to connect to google calender any more either (this used to work with beta 1). I just get unable to download event messages every time (contacts is working however).

Peter.

Hi pnunn
    I'm sorry you are having problems with Kmail, but the unhooking from google has a bunch of posts on it, and there is no known solution as of now, except to do just what you did.

There is another thread about using sqllite which you might try.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

As for Google Calendar integration, there is a new release that's known to work well (so far). Try following this: http://jpwhiting.blogspot.com/2011/0...-calendar.html

Good luck.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Thank you dequire. It took me a little while to work out what the ID was, but all good now with the calendar.

Thanks again
        Peter.

Comment

Hi dequire

Thanks for the linky, I notice that it uses caldav which is what SteveRiley has advocated for some time.

Pnunn, if you could report back on your "install" of it and what results it produced it would be of GREAT help because not many people will post stuff.

I will also try it out.

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

No problems woodsmoke. I followed the direction given by dequire. The only issue I had was finding the ID of the resource which was hidden in plain sight (its nothing to do with the xml, ical or html buttons, simply the login in name in my case, and I now have a fully functioning calendar. Now if I could just stop the mail going offline.. all would be good ..

Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by pnunn View Post
              .... Now if I could just stop the mail going offline.. all would be good .. .
              I had a similar problem. it was related to my wireless connection dropping to 20% signal strength (I am only 3 meters from my 3 antenna wireless!). When I upgraded to the 3.2.0-21 kernel the issue pretty much went away for me. The 3.2.0-23 kernel, which I am running now, is working nicely with my rtl8192ce wifi driver.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek, unfortunately most of my problems seem to be when the system has been idle for a while. I suspect that the system is going to sleep but kmail is not waking up correctly when the system recovers (not 100% sure about this yet, but it seems to be the case). I'm on a wired connection most of the time, so I don't think its network dropouts, and again, it should recover if that is the case.

Comment

What are your power settings? Usually "going to sleep" can merely be the monitor blanking, not the system going into suspension. (Hibernation would shut down your PC)
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

You are correct, it should only be blanking the screen. I am running BlueProximity, but it too is only locking the system.

I'm not sure now that it is infact the power stuff. It just seems to be if the system is idle for any length of time (say more than 10 minutes).

Peter.

Comment

Have you tried this in your unlock command?

xset dpms force on ; killall -9 krunner_lock

Comment

Hi GreyGeek.

I did have that setting, but it didn't unlock the screen correctly, I'm now using killall -9 kscreenlocker instead of krunner_lock.

I'll go back to that and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks.

Peter.

Comment

Working...
                        X