This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grub update this evening - would not install to the partition

I have three versions of *buntu on my HP laptop, and of course, that means grub is installed to the partitions for two of them, one being Precise. This evening the dist-upgrade included grub-common grub-pc grub-pc-bin grub2-common. Previously, grub complained about installing to a partition (it really wants to be installed to the MBR) but it would go ahead and do so. Not this evening! I was forced to point it to the MBR. Hmm.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Same here, seemed to work ok on this end. Question; do you have Grub2 editor(mentioned in the other thread) I have, I could be all wrong but somehow I think it's related to this Grub issue. I had some issue with it that I had to fix with SuperGrub editor on a USB

b.r

Jonas

p.s I've never ever had any trouble with Grub legacy nor Grub2, first time is this release.
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Nope, do not use Grub2 editor - I do everything grub related from the CLI. This is the first time that Grub refused to install to the partition (that I had installed it to when I installed 12.04). Given that I have multiple *buntu's on this laptop, I don't want to have Grub2 force me to install to the MBR. Maybe this is a 'glitch' in the last update of the grub files, and it will be remedied with a subsequent update, or when 12.04 goes 'final'. We'll see.

Comment

Here's the *buntu bug report (it's also a Debian bug): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/972250

Comment

And I see that it has been 'fixed'. The fixed grub2 file hasn't come done to Ubuntu yet, at least, not as of this evening.

Comment

Working...
          X