This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux kernels in Precise

NOTICE: What I thought were -20 kernel problems may not be. Today I discovered that the new 4GB RAM card I bought on 3/11 went belly up after an increasing number of severe problems. I am now back to the original 4GB (another chip coming from Amazon Friday!) and things are working well again.

The most recent kernel "-20", was a disaster for my installation. My average temperature rose by 10F and once while playing Minecraft it was shut down by a "temperature overrun" to 140F, even though this CPU has a max temp of 194F.

Also, I was noticing an accumulation of linux kernels and headers and such in /boot, starting with the "-8" right up to the latest, "-20". I decided to clean my kernel house.

The usual was is to run Synaptic and search on "linux-headers", then click on the little square above the first column to move all the green boxes (installed headers and kernels) to the top of the list. Then select the kernels and headers you want to remove. (In the past all one had to do was select the kernel and Synaptic would select the appropriate header, but not now). Click the apply button. Synaptic would remove the selected kernels and headers and then run "update-grub".

Not any more. My /boot/grub.cfg file still showed the now missing kernels as options to choose from. When I ran "sudo update-grup" the new grub.cfg file STILL contained them. I checked the /boot directory and the ones Synaptic told me were removed were actually all still there!

So, I manually removed them using Dolphin. I had to remove
    abi-3,2,0-XX-generic
    config-3.2.0-XX-generic
    initrd.img-3.2.0-XX-generic
    System.map-3.2.0-XX-generic
    vmlinuz-3.2.0-XX-generic
    for all of the kernels from XX=8 to XX=16, and XX=20.
    THEN I ran "update-grub" and got a good grub file.

There was a time in the past, before grub and during the first grub incarnation, when all one had to do was manually edit a single file in /boot and arrange the kernels in the order you wanted them to appear. Grub "1" had "menu.lst". Grub-2 has, IMO, gone in the wrong direction. About the only way for Joe or Sally Sixpack to use it is to let the kernels pile up in /boot and let grub.cfg be controlled automatically, forcing them to manually select any but the latest automatically installed kernel. Removing old and/or unused kernels is not a job for Joe or Sally, and updating /etc/default/grub.cfg is almost too much to ask of Joe or Sally.

It's about time an app was created which listed all the kernels in /boot and allowed the user to re-arrange them, or mark the default boot kernel, or to remove stale kernels, and then have the app do all the work in the back ground with apt-get and update-grub.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 28, 2012, 05:39 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    It's about time an app was created which listed all the kernels in /boot and allowed the user to re-arrange them, or mark the default boot kernel, or to remove stale kernels, and then have the app do all the work in the back ground with apt-get and update-grub.
    Have you tried StartUpManager?

Edit: development stopped 2010...
    Last edited by rms; Mar 27, 2012, 01:25 PM.
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

When you tell synaptic to remove them, make sure you tell it to remove the residual configuration and see if that helps.

Comment

About the only way for Joe or Sally Sixpack to use it is to let the kernels pile up in /boot and let grub.cfg be controlled automatically, forcing them to manually select any but the latest automatically installed kernel. Removing old and/or unused kernels is not a job for Joe or Sally, and updating /etc/default/grub.cfg is almost too much to ask of Joe or Sally.
        Maybe the Joe or Sally use the KDE System Settings ?

But the package (kde-config-grub2) need to be installed. May or may not work with the Precise beta 1. I didn't test it.

There was a proposition to add it as default but it was postponed as lack of the testing (iirc *).

---Edit---

* Compulsory Links:

- http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...uide-for-Users
        - http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2012/02/10...ntu-devel.html
        Last edited by OneLine; Mar 27, 2012, 02:19 PM.
        Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
        - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Linux kernels in Precise

But the package (kde-config-grub2) need to be installed. May or may not work with the Precise beta 1. I didn't test it.

There was a proposition to add it as default but it was postponed as lack of the testing (iirc *).

Wow, what an amazing piece of kit. I didn't even know this existed.
          Thanks OneLine.

Comment

Originally posted by OneLine View Post
            Maybe the Joe or Sally use the KDE System Settings ?...l
            If they are running the same Precise I am then they can't. My System Settings has only 3 options where you show 4.

EDIT: I installed the package Flip the Switch suggested and now I have the grub configuration option. Since I am running Precise to test it I will test it. Thanks, OneLine!
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 27, 2012, 02:55 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

KDE rulez!!! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                About the only way for Joe or Sally Sixpack to use it is to let the kernels pile up in /boot and let grub.cfg be controlled automatically, forcing them to manually select any but the latest automatically installed kernel. Removing old and/or unused kernels is not a job for Joe or Sally, and updating /etc/default/grub.cfg is almost too much to ask of Joe or Sally.
                I 'automated' the process by creating two alias's that are in my .bash_aliases file.

alias mykernels="clear && dpkg --list | grep linux-image | awk '{print \$2}' && cat Documents/Remove\ a\ Kernel"
                alias mykernel2rm='sudo apt-get purge linux-image-'

The content of my Remove a Kernel document:

Removing older kernels from the console:

dpkg --list | grep linux-image | awk '{print $2}'
                sudo apt-get purge linux-image-x.x.x-xx-generic
                sudo update-grub2
                So, I run mykernels first, and I currently get:
                linux-image-3.2.0-19-generic
                linux-image-3.2.0-20-generic
                linux-image-generic

Removing older kernels from the console:

dpkg --list | grep linux-image | awk '{print $2}'
                sudo apt-get purge linux-image-x.x.x-xx-generic
                sudo update-grub2
                If I want to remove completely, the older kernel (3.2.0-19-generic), I then run mykernel2rm 3.2.0-19-generic and that kernel is completely removed from my system. I then run, as shown in the document, sudo update-grub2 (I have that aliased as ugrub), and grub gets updated with the new changes.

I find this very handy.
                Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 27, 2012, 11:10 PM.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  ,,,I find this very handy.
                  Very handy indeed! Thank you!

What I found curious was that I had used Muon to remove all of the kernels -7 through -16 and -20, and then manually deleted them from the HD. Yet, when I ran your first script, "dpkg --list | grep linux-image | awk '{print $2}' ", it listed ALL of them as still "installed" and in the "list". The dpkg script actually removed their listings from the "list" and from the files that dpkg keeps.

Comment

Nice app. I installed it on my Precise 12.04 and it works well (you do have to reboot after installation for it to take effect though). I have reinstalled Kubuntu several times and my load file was getting cluttered, no more! I was only able to change the name of my kubuntu 12.04 to it's proper name. I have Xubuntu loaded on another drive and it's still listed as Ubuntu 11.10.

Comment

A good idea to have an option to edit the various aspects of grub in the System Settings.
                      But it's still missing some polish, it made setting a background picture very easy but changing the font colours does so far not work for me.

Comment

Buggy in Oneiric. Purged some old entries, set a wallpaper, super! Then tried to change wallpaper, no go. Now it cannot change anything.

Edit: may bad, the image was not RGB.
                        Last edited by rms; Apr 01, 2012, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Edited to strike warning. Bug has been fixed in Precise.

Originally posted by OneLine View Post
                          [strike]Don't install this if your system is UEFI-based and your version of GRUB is grub-efi.

UEFI-based systems that use grub-efi are unable to take advantage of this tool. The hard dependency on grub-pc will cause grub-efi to be uninstalled. I noticed this when I tried a dry-run installation this evening:
                          Code:
                          steve@x1:~$ [B]apt-get -s install kde-config-grub2[/B]
                          NOTE: This is only a simulation!
                                apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
                                Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
                                so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree       
                          Reading state information... Done
                          The following extra packages will be installed:
                            grub-gfxpayload-lists grub-pc grub-pc-bin libmagick++4
                          Suggested packages:
                            desktop-base
                          [COLOR="#FF0000"]The following packages will be REMOVED:
                            grub-efi grub-efi-amd64[/COLOR]
                          The following NEW packages will be installed:
                            grub-gfxpayload-lists grub-pc grub-pc-bin kde-config-grub2 libmagick++4
                          kde-config-grub2 has a hard dependency on grub-pc. If your computer instead uses grub-efi, then installing this package will remove that, rendering your computer unbootable.[/strike]

I just filed Launchpad bug 970622. If you'd like to use this neat KCM but can't because of the bug, please vote for it.
                          Last edited by SteveRiley; Apr 01, 2012, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Just got the Launchpad auto-email: Jonathan fixed the bug.

Code:
                            This bug was fixed in the package kcm-grub2 - 0.5.0-0ubuntu3
                            ---------------
                            kcm-grub2 (0.5.0-0ubuntu3) precise; urgency=low

* Change the hardcoded dependency on grub-pc to also let grub-efi-amd64 and
                                grub-efi-ia32 satisfy the dependency (LP: #970622)
                              * Bump debhelper compat version to 9:
                                - Fix dh options ordering in debian/rules
                              * Bump Standards-Version to 3.9.3
                              * Fix lintian warnings about missing liscensing paragraphs in the
                                debian/copyright file
                             -- Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@kubuntu.org> Sun, 01 Apr 2012 15:05:36 -0400
                            Thanks, sir!

Comment

mmm... only the 0ubuntu2 version is in the repository.

Comment

Working...
                              X