This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to do a clean import of mail>

The worst part of my upgrade has been trying to get my mail imported into Kmail.

In my attempts to try to import my mail from the old Kmail, I seem to have corrupted the mail database, I am getting a bunch of errors complaining that x cannot be accessed, y mail folder does not exist. The import process seems to be very touchy, and looks like it is going to give issues to more than just me.

What is the best way to wipe Kmail from the face of the planet (or at least my PC), and then reinstall and start again?

I expect that just removing and reinstalling from muon will end up with all of the config files still there and not achieve anything.

Thanks

Pat

Read through claydoh's thread here.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for that, but the thread isn't really what I was asking for, and the most conclusive part of it was "use thunderbird".

Guessing from the bits in those threads to clean out kmail I need to do the following:
      rm -rf ~/.local/share/akonadi
      rm -rf ~/.config/akonadi
      rm -rf ~/.kde/share/config/akonadi*

find ~/ -name 'akonadi*' -delete

as well as a similar hit on anything called kmail.

Is there anywhere else things may be hiding?

Is there any need to remove the packages, or is just removing the information in the home directory enough.

Unfortunately at the moment, Precise is not usable because I don't have email.

Thanks

Comment

The whole akonadi/email thing in Precise is not highly stable or efficient at this point in time. I am hoping the folks working on this are stabilizing and streamlining the mess that exists today.

In the meantime, when akonadi gets confused or corrupted on my system, I shutdown akonadi, remove the database, and restart it. Then, kmail repopulates the database when it starts up.

My steps go like this:
        $ akonadictl stop
        ... wait for akonadi to stop running.
        $ cd .local/share; rm -r akonadi
        $ akonadictl start

I have not lost any emails using this method. However, it does get kmail up an limping again when the database gets corrupted.

Comment

Didn't work.

I did the following:
          akonadictl stop
          cd .local/share; rm -r akonadi
          deleted all of the mail directories
          akonadictl start

It started throwing this error message:
          akonadi_maildispatcher_agent(15610)/libakonadi: Resource id's don't match: "akonadi_maildir_resource_0" "akonadi_maildir_resource_3"

I imported my old mail directories, hoping that that might make it happy. They imported successfully, but akonadi kept scrolling the resource id's don't match error.

Is there a way just to run old kmail?

Comment

I gave up trying to get Kmail to run and import my mails. When it did run it would crash when trying to import my mails. When it crashed it corrupted the mails. The more I dug, the more I saw that this was not an issue with the precise beta, but Kmail2 in general, hasn't been fixed in the six months it was part of oneric, so is unlikely to be so in the next couple of weeks.

I gave up and installed claws email. It isn't pretty, but it runs, does what I need and I was able to import my old emails more easily, certainly more easily than getting them from old to new Kmail.

Comment

Working...
            X