This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to unmaximise screens

Most all of the windows on my machine are maximised, and there does not seem to be any way to unmaximise them. Just to the right of the program name in the what used to be called the taskbar (but I am not sure what it is now), there are two buttons - big X to close, pretty easy, and just to the left one that looks like it should resize. When I click it, nothing happens.

Am I doing it wrong, or is this a bug?

If it is important, I am running an Asus netbook, 1024x600 resolution. It is a clean install of the standard Kubuntu beta.

Thanks for your help.

Pat

Welcome to KFN.

You're using a netbook, so the installation would have detected that and installed the netbook workspace and not the desktop workspace. You can change that. See How To Switch Between Desktop And Netbook Workspace In Kubuntu.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I also had trouble with windows being maximized even with the desktop setting. For my system, in System Settings>Workspace Behaviour>Screen Edges, I have the boxes "Maximize windows by dragging . . . " and "Tile windows by dragging . . ." unchecked.

I hope you are able to configure your netbook to your liking without too much hassle.

Comment

Hey, thanks that makes things much better.

Now I have a resize or maximise button, but there is no minimise. I guess that there is a toggle buried somewhere for that too, and can't find anything from my looking.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks again.

Comment

k menu -> computer ->system settings -> workspace appearance ->window borders -> configure buttons.

a dialog will open up, in it you can configure the buttons on your window borders, drag the minimize button in to the border how you would like it (or any other ones you may want) . when your done press ok to close the dialog and remember to hit apply before you close system settings.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for your help, it is all good now.

Just to help out the next confused person who runs down this chain, on my machine at least, you need:
            system settings >> workspace appearance >>window decoration
            Then at the bottom of the screen is a "configure buttons" button. In here you can do a number of cool things, like adding a space between the close and resize button, and adding an "always on top button". Never knew the last one existed!

Personally I think that the installer is going to make major changes to the install based on the size of your machine, it should at least tell you it has installed "netbook mode" or something similar. I searched for hours to try to figure out what was going on, and no-one appeared to be having similar issues, because I didn't know of the "netbook" option.

Thanks for everyones help.

Comment

Working...
            X