Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't used WICD; relying on KNM, since 11.10. My wireless, with KNM, works just fine.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      I haven't used WICD; relying on KNM, since 11.10. My wireless, with KNM, works just fine.
      Do you have the ipw2200 as this seems to be the only one affected?

Comment

No. My HP has a Broadcom BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/908380

I have an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200 card and experienced the same issues with Kubuntu. Using an Ubuntu beta1 USB gave me other issues so it seemed like a problem with either NetworkManager or the ipw2200 driver. The comments in the bug report from the last couple of days indicate that the issue has been solved/worked around.
          Registered Linux user #481882

Comment

Thanks, that was informative.

However, my reading of it is that the crashing of Network-manager (one of the symptoms, which I never experienced) has been fixed, but the actual cause, namely a driver defect in the kernel, has not.

However, when I upgraded to 12.04 I kept one of the 11.10 kernels and the problem is there too so I'm stumped. All I can add really is that I downloaded the ubuntu 12.04 daily this morning and the problem is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator View Post
              However, when I upgraded to 12.04 I kept one of the 11.10 kernels and the problem is there too so I'm stumped. All I can add really is that I downloaded the ubuntu 12.04 daily this morning and the problem is still there.
              That was disappointing.

In Ubuntu it's possible to connect if you manually create a new connection, that wasn't possible in Kubuntu though as you probably have found out. In ZevenOS Neptune (based on Debian Testing) everything is working fine with network-manager 0.9.2.0 and kernel 3.2.12. I've used CrunchBang before with kernel 3.2 and network-manager 0.8.4.0 and that has worked fine as well.

I wonder if it would be worth trying to downgrade network-manager to the version Oneric uses...

Comment

As an update the latest live version of Puppy does not see my network adapter at all, and neither does a live version of the latest opensuse. I find the latter surprising in the extreme. It was, however, run from a Linux format DVD so maybe they did some tweaking which prevented it working.

There seem to be bug reports about this all over the place, so either:

The kernel developers have dropped either support for this card or a clanger. Given that people are reporting the same issue in a number of distros I sincerely hope it's the latter. Meanwhile many thanks to the developers of WICD.

In the event there is not an early fix I may have to reinstall 11.10 if I need to connect to my VPN again. Hope that won't be needed.

Comment

I tried Kubuntu 12.04 beta2 from a live usb and installed network-manager from this PPA: (found it in the bug report I mentioned earlier)

https://launchpad.net/~jools/+archive/ipw2200

It's working fine now!

Comment

Thanks very much for that- I confirm it's now working fine. My faith is restored

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                      If Network Manager (and its Plasma widget) are working perfectly fine, is there a reason to switch to WiCd anyway? (Just asking for my own edification.)
                      Mentioned it in another thread but IMO wicd-curses is worth the price of admission - having a CLI wireless utility can be handy.
                      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                      X