This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz Segfaults - Kubunt 12.04 - fresh install

Installed Compiz via apt-get install compiz compiz-kde.

Attempt to set Compiz as the window manager via Default Applications ->
    Window Manager:

1. Use a different window manager: Compiz custom - fails with "The new window manager failed to start"
    2. Use a different window manager: Compiz - failes with "The new window manager failed to start"

DMESG:

[ 354.003181] compiz[2370]: segfault at 1 ip b63f17d1 sp bfd66f70 error 4 in libkconfig4.so[b63e1000+1d000]
    [ 729.459781] compiz[4074]: segfault at 1 ip b64847d1 sp bff342a0 error 4 in libkconfig4.so[b6474000+1d000]

Description: Ubuntu precise (development branch)
    Release: 12.04

compiz:
    Installed: 1:0.9.7.0+bzr3035-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1:0.9.7.0+bzr3035-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
    *** 1:0.9.7.0+bzr3035-0ubuntu1 0
    500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Also, running ccsm from konsole produces a similar segfault as above unless running it via sudo: sudo ccsm

Comment

you should not be using compiz with kde, it used to work (mostly) but not it does not most of the stuff compiz does kwin now does via its effects options

you should try compiz --replace (to start it and see if that works) i have not heard of compiz working correctly for a while in kde.. (at least no one has said anything about it working its been recently this fails.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for the reply sithlord.

I did attempt compiz --replace from Konsole but it fails to run and generates a segfault. sudo compiz --replace fares better but that leaves all windows with no decorator - not menus or buttons. I've also installed compiz-kde but kde-windows-decorator isn't being picked up or recognised by compiz.

I do need to try compiz as kwin exhibits some peculiar behaviour with fullscreen apps (namely virtualbox), which were managed correctly when I recently tried compiz in LMDE.

Should compiz be in kubuntu's apt if it is broken?

Again, thank you for your thoughts.

Comment

the decorator has to be installed sperately (last time i used compiz) its called emerald you might not have it installed.

"I do need to try compiz as kwin exhibits some peculiar behaviour with fullscreen apps (namely virtualbox), which were managed correctly when I recently tried compiz in LMDE."
          i think its a bug in the panel or plasma . switching to compiz should have no effect on that issue.

"Should compiz be in kubuntu's apt if it is broken?"
          kubuntu shares its repos with ubuntu and all the other *buntus so that would be why its still there.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
          X