X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akonadi broken.

Hi Folks,

It seems some recent update (over the last day or so) has totally broken akonadi as far as IMAP goes.

I cannot get an imap connection to my mail server to work at all from kontact and I cannot open the connections configuration with either kontact, akonadi console, or akonadi configuration.

I can open other agents configurations, just not the imap ones. I have been having all sorts of problems with this connector over two distributions of Linux now (who isn't with the buggy piece of junk) but never a total break like this (usually just going off line and having to restart akonadi to get it back on line etc).

Anyone else having issues like this or am I just lucky this time?

Ta

Peter.

Remember: it's pre-release software, not finished, and subject to change.

Comment

I totally understand that Steve, but this aknoadi / kmail2 steaming pile has been an ongoing issue with both Mageia cauldron and now here and it never seems to get any more stable. When is someone in the KDE community going to put a gun to its head and revert back to what was working reasonably well?

In the mean time, how do I fault find the current mess. It's pretty hard to use if you can't open the configurations. It turns out you can open the configuration remotely (using akonadi console) but it takes AGES to open the dialog and nothing seems to fix the problem of it not working at all now.

BUT, I do understand that on the bleeding edge you occasionally get cut.

Peter.

Comment

KMail2 has thrown a few more fits over the past couple days, yes. I attribute that to further tuning of the underlying Akonadi agents. Typically, when they act up, I just delete them and create new ones. Granted, this task is probably a bit easier for me than for others, since all my mail lives on Gmail -- I don't have to worry about backing anything up.

Comment

I don't use KMail, so can't speak for that part of it, but do you really need Akonadi? On my wife's KDE, I recently disabled nepomuk and strigi by going to system settings and disabling semantic desktop, and I believe that includes Akonadi. It made a dual core with 8GB ram, which couldn't handle the load, run like a real computer again. A couple of programs wouldn't run at all with that stuff enabled.

Comment

pnunn

are you specifically trying to interact with google or another mail system?

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul View Post
              On my wife's KDE, I recently disabled nepomuk and strigi by going to system settings and disabling semantic desktop, and I believe that includes Akonadi.
              No, disabling Nepomuk and Strigi won't disable Akonadi. That's an extra step, which Google can easily help you find.

Comment

Not to take the thread off track, but this thread displays the absolutely horrible manner in which KDE has rolled the whole Strigi/Nepomuk/Akonadi stuff out and how poorly the few explanations there are on the net about them and the relationship between them.

This is NOT a reflection on anyone in this thread, or anyone here at the forum.

In my humble opinion it is a perfect example of how the developers "know that" but they can't seem to figure out how to tell other people SIMPLY what they do and how they relate to each other and they won't let anyone else explain it for them. Instead of a cogent, one side, one sheet, explanation AT KDE.....that is written in "newbie(how I DETEST that term), language, the explanations are over wordy, or RTFM or terse to the point of putting the new person off.

So, each and every forum, has to go through this over, and over, and over, and OVER ....again....

I mean SR must be getting heartily TIRED of making the post he must made...

And, again I REPEAT, this is not any kind of reflection on anyone in this thread or in the forum, all are intelligent, knowledgeable people, it is the poor explanation of people external to the system.

Please return to the thread, rant done!

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

When KDE 4.8 trickled in to my Oneiric box and settled in, my Akonadi/Nepomuk/Strigi experience went from total frustration to complete smoothness. Never once had a crash.

On my Precise box, running dev/beta/daily everything, I'm having minor issues but no breakage. So I'd say that we're -- at this moment -- in the midst of KDE 4.8.1 + Ubuntu 12.04 bug collisions that will eventually get squashed.

Comment

I agree SR, it is not the app/apps that I was posting about but the "marketing" or "explanation" of it.

If it always, just worked, then there would be no need for explanation because it would run in the background, as it were.

woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi Woodsmoke,

the main issue is with my imap server here at the office in that I can't even get the configuration dialogue to open to let me even try and change anything. The gcalc agent at least opens the config dialogue but unfortunately it too is broken at the moment.

Peter.

Comment

I hope your right SR.

I recently moved to Kubuntu from Mageia (and before that all the incarnations it has gone through) primarily because when trying to recover a broken Mageia Cauldron install, I found that things that didn't work there, worked here out of the box, and kmail was one of them.

I guess I'm trying to say that I've been living on the bleeding edge for a while now with two rapidly updating distros, both struggling with this KMail mess and it just seems to keep going around in circles. I'm comfortable with using Thunderbird instead (what I'm resorting to now) but I happen to like Kmail as a mail client and KDE simply can't go live with the mess still being like this, it will turn people back to windows in droves. Who do we lobby/winge at/ scream at in the KDE community to either fix this thing or ditch it?

Peter.

Comment

Hi pnunn

I am very sure that they are very aware of the situation. They have many bug filings, some of which are mine.

I really do, personally, think that the "problem" lies with trying to interact with Google stuff and Google, although it is "open source" really does want to drive people to using Google stuff and local stuff "and" Google stuff.

So, the devs have to, as I understand it, redo the way that mySQL interacts with the end of google stuff that it interacts with. The problem is not "a database" it is how the database "interacts" with other things.

The simple fix for me is that whenever Kontact pops the error message that it can't get "to" Google is that I uninstall and reinstall the IMAP server.

It might seem, from this, that the if removing and re-installing the IMAP server fixes the problem then the problem is with the IMAP server, but....

Up until last summer I also had an IMAP account with MediaCom, a U.S. ISP that also has a mail app.

I had NO problems with Kontact and Mediacom.

So, the problem would seem to be with Google.....

and the simple fix is to just resign ones self to un/installing the IMAP server until the devs back engineer to Google.

woodsmoke
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                          X