This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Precise and Enemy Territory

I installed it using instructions found here, with some modifications.

First, if you plan to install it and play the game, do not install PunkBuster. PunkBuster is installed by installing the "update". Although PunkBuster is supposed to block "punk cheaters" from playing with illegal cheats, the version of PunkBuster for Linux has not been updated, so with it active you will get kicked out of any server you join within two minutes. You can disable it within the game if you do install it. The Ubuntu documentation references a GUI update app for PunkBuster but it does not recognize Enemy Territory when you browse to Enemy Territory's install directory, /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/, or point it at ~/.etwolf. All it allows you to do is find a path to either BattleField 2 or BattleField 2142.

The big problem I had was getting the sound to work.

First install libSDL1.2 from the repository and install et-sdl-sound by executing in a Konsole:

Code:
    wget -q -O - [URL]http://nullkey.kapsi.fi/et-sdl-sound/et-sdl-sound.gz[/URL] | gzip -d > et-sdl-sound && chmod a+x et-sdl-sound
    Then add the following two lines to the test for the location of libSDL it, at around line 1,549
    Code:
    [ "$LIBSDL" = "" ] && testlibsdl "/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL.so"
    [ "$LIBSDL" = "" ] && testlibsdl "/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL-1.2.so.0"
    so it will look like this:
    Code:
    [ "$GAME_PATH" = "" ] && eend "can't locate $GAME_BIN"

[ "$LIBSDL" = "" ] && testlibsdl "/usr/lib/libSDL.so"
    [ "$LIBSDL" = "" ] && testlibsdl "/usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0"
    [ "$LIBSDL" = "" ] && testlibsdl "/usr/lib32/libSDL.so"
    [ "$LIBSDL" = "" ] && testlibsdl "/usr/lib32/libSDL-1.2.so.0"
    [ "$LIBSDL" = "" ] && testlibsdl "/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL.so"
    [ "$LIBSDL" = "" ] && testlibsdl "/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL-1.2.so.0"
    if [ "$LIBSDL" = "" ]; then
        LOCATE_LIBSDL=`locate -r libSDL[^_]*so[^_]* 2> /dev/null`
        for i in $LOCATE_LIBSDL; do
            testlibsdl $i
            [ "$LIBSDL" != "" ] && break
        done
    fi
    Also, alsa sound does not work with ET in Precise the way it did with alsa in Lucid.
    To make the sound work with Precise, you need to edit et-sdl-sound , changing line 40 from

SDL_AUDIODRIVER="alsa"

to
    SDL_AUDIODRIVER="pulse"

That's about it.

Oh, you better have a FAST video card or chip, or you won't be able to fight as fast and furious as most of the other gamers. Strangely, I am getting 30fps from my midrange Intel HD3000 video chip.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 13, 2012, 09:41 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.
Working...
X