X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade warning for 11-26-2012

Heads up,
    Today's update removes python-dbus-common, which will kill your kde desktop.
    Actually, it's plasma-desktop that is segfaulting.
    Suggest not dist-upgrading until the package is upgraded.
    Check what will be removed before doing the dist-upgrade.
    Shouldn't be long before this is fixed.

I am using precise right now, was able to start konsole with ALT-F2, and other programs, including firefox, from the command line. Kinda like old times. X is there and working, just not kde. Haven't tried unity, it might be OK.
    Last edited by doctordruidphd; Jan 27, 2012, 08:23 AM. Reason: Original issue not the problem
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Are you sure your plasma crash is caused by the upgrade?

python-dbus upgrade removes python-dbus-common, but installs python-dbus-dev (which seems to include the files that were in python-dbus-common).

I upgraded earlier and plasma works fine on my end.

I'd still advise caution on upgrading.

Comment

I upgraded my Precise install (this box) and didn't have any problems. I searched my system for python-dbus-common and didn't find it. It's still in the repository, not installed.
      My KDE 4.8 desktop is running fine without it. What is it used for?
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 26, 2012, 08:37 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I was about to put Precise on my box, should I give it a go to check and see if similar problems occur?

4.8KDE is running fine for the 11.10, though I'm not sure whether that has merit or not
        Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

OK, well maybe that's not the problem then. Up until today's upgrade, everything was working as expected.
          Plasma-desktop is cold dead at this point, not sure what killed it if it isn't the python stuff.
          Will have to investigate further.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmaster View Post
            I was about to put Precise on my box, should I give it a go to check and see if similar problems occur?
            Use tomorrow's daily iso, it will include all the previous updates. I've been running Precise on this Acer 7739 for almost a month and it is running as good as my 10.04 LTS on my Sony box, except that KDE 4.8 is better than 4.5, IMO.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Use tomorrow's daily iso, it will include all the previous updates. I've been running Precise on this Acer 7739 for almost a month and it is running as good as my 10.04 LTS on my Sony box, except that KDE 4.8 is better than 4.5, IMO.
              I'm already 3 hours into my download..speeds suck here, and the fact that its a 1/4 done in only three is great. And if worst comes to worst, I'll still have X at least, as well as TTY's
              Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                I upgraded my Precise install (this box) and didn't have any problems. I searched my system for python-dbus-common and didn't find it. It's still in the repository, not installed.
                My KDE 4.8 desktop is running fine without it. What is it used for?
                It has a header and a pkg-config file in it, I wouldn't think anything required by plasma at runtime.

File list for python-dbus-common and python-dbus-dev:
                /usr/include/dbus-1.0/dbus/dbus-python.h
                /usr/lib/pkgconfig/dbus-python.pc
                /usr/share/doc/python-dbus-common/changelog.Debian.gz
                /usr/share/doc/python-dbus-common/copyright

Comment

At this point, I have determined that the problem is something in the panel. If I remove the panel by deleting the plasma-desktoprc file, plasma-desktop starts OK. Problem is, when I try to add the panel back, the system-tray doesn't work right. It spreads out over several times the screen width, takes over the whole panel, and just in general misbehaves. I'm going to try replacing my whole .kde directory with a backup first, if that doesn't work, then restoring last weekend's backup and doing the dist-upgrades again. I would think that if it were just the kde update, it would have zapped 11.10 as well, but that's working normally.
                  Blast it all, precise was working so well...

Oh yeah, there seems to be a slight problem with the forum -- I am not getting thread subscription emails when new posts are made. It says I am subscribed to the thread, but no emails, not even in the junk folder.

I'm going to mark this as solved because the original issue reported seems not to be the issue at all. It's some sort of installation-specific kde issue.
                  Last edited by doctordruidphd; Jan 27, 2012, 08:25 AM. Reason: remove unintended smiley

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd View Post
                    plasma-desktoprc
                    I'm going to try replacing my whole .kde directory.
                    First try also renameing/moving plasma-appletsrc, this contains the settings for all the widgets you have, removing this and plasma-desktoprc (and possibally anything else that begins with plasma) will reset the entire plasma to its defaults.

I find more often its the applets that are the issues as apose to plasma itsself.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                      I find more often its the applets that are the issues as apose to plasma itsself.

Yeah, confirmed bad plamsmoid -- in this case, "Simple CPU Monitor" , made the system tray go crazy when I added it back in.

Comment

Working...
                      X